Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SSV Redline Queries

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
Hi All,

Haven't been on here in light years, but bought one of the last VF SSV back in 2017. A few queries if I may ask:

Is it possible to improve the radio reception? It's pretty rubbish at the best of times.

How is the SatNav maps updated?

I've noticed on full cold starts the engine is quite noisy, clattering away for a while before quitening down. Normal or lifter issues and or piston slap?

Only other fault I've had was leaking rocker cover gaskets, replaced at 25000km under warranty, and now I'm up to 31000km and the replacement set is leaking again FFS. I just replaced the gaskets on my Subaru at 190000km, so its extremely disappointing to see what's happened on the LS3.

Anyway.... if anyone has info please chip in.

Cheers

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
SatNav you can only do through the dealer, and it’s usually about $200. If you want to do it, make sure you pre-book & don't just ask them to do it as part of a service or something like that, as it takes some time for HO to encode your VIN into whatever they send the dealer.

LS3’s in VF2’s are known for being noisy & clattery, but I’m not an expert by any means - don’t know what defines “normal”.

I think there are alternate aerials around (make sure whatever you get is SatNav compatible); but we don’t have radio reception problems in ours (FM). Could be a fault in yours? Might be worth getting ‘em to look at it when they fix the leaky gaskets for free because that shouldn’t happen.

athol66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Are you using factory aerial for radio or one of those small stubby after market ones? I live away from the city and the factory aerial is fine but the short ones are only suitable for city/near suburban driving I found.

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
Ahh the old ls3 piston slap,better get used to it,or get it to a decent dealer and hopefully they will give you a new motor and there might be a minute chance the new motor doesnt have the same issue.

Adza75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
I have to agree, in hilly areas the FM radio reception is rubbish. It was the same in my VE with the same antenna setup. It's also the same in 3 other mates' VF's so it's not a fault... it's obviously a feature.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
I have to agree, in hilly areas the FM radio reception is rubbish. It was the same in my VE with the same antenna setup. It's also the same in 3 other mates' VF's so it's not a fault... it's obviously a feature.

Unless you had a Calais or SSV in the VE model which had the additional antenna in the rear windows which was fantastic.