Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SSV Redline series 1 auto transmission issue

Kermiit

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SSV Redline
Hey guys,

I've done a quick search and haven't been able to find anything. Basically I have just bought 2014 SSV Redline auto, I like to use the sports gears a fair bit when driving, definitely don't rev the s#!& out of it or anything. However I have noticed when shifting out of 1st into 2nd downshifting from 2nd to 1st it jumps and jolts a bit kind of like it's locking up or something similar feeling to tapping the breaks. It's definitely not smooth, I just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced anything similar? I am gonna take it into Holden for them to have a look, I just thought I'd post on here in the meantime. Appreciate any help, cheers!

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
It's happened to me once or twice in 5 years. Only when I'm creeping down a hill, on the brakes downshifting. Can't recall if I'm in auto or manual though. Most likely I've been in auto changing to first manually just when the box is changing anyway. Definitely gives a good jolt.

snortings

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 SV6
It's happened to me once or twice in 5 years. Only when I'm creeping down a hill, on the brakes downshifting. Can't recall if I'm in auto or manual though. Most likely I've been in auto changing to first manually just when the box is changing anyway. Definitely gives a good jolt.
My old VE SV6 used to do this. When I was going down a hill on the brakes and changing from 2nd to 1st in the manual auto mode, it's like it would just shove itself into 1st. Would make a jolt and a little bang. Only happened every so often.

Kermiit

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SSV Redline

Yeah that sounds about right, I wonder if it's cause for concern or not.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
I don't think first gear has automatic rev matching like the other gears, which may result in what you are experiencing.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
how many kms has it done? I'd be looking at a transmission service (or even a full flush). They say they are sealed for life, but no fluid lasts forever despite what they claim.

Kermiit

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SSV Redline
how many kms has it done? I'd be looking at a transmission service (or even a full flush). They say they are sealed for life, but no fluid lasts forever despite what they claim.
You think that might have something to do with it? It's done about 65k and it is due for a service

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
You think that might have something to do with it? It's done about 65k and it is due for a service

I can't say it's the root cause of the issue. But at 5yrs old and with 65k, I think it's certainly worth considering as a possible factor. Old, burnt fluid causes transmissions to do all sorts of weird and not so wonderful things. Rough changing is a common one.

A service will be around $150-$200ish, but that only removes about half the fluid. A full flush is north of $300 but will remove the fluid from the torque converter as well, so all up around 90% of it.

Merv53

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SSV
I have noticed this a couple of times recently on my 2016 auto ss, done 34k, when going down a hill slowly in Manuel mode, on downshifting from second to first there is a huge clunk like you have just hit something. It makes you jump in the seat. Has any one reported this to Holden, as it seems a few of us have experienced it. If so could you tell me what was their response

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
+ 1 for rev lack of matching or auto service as a potential cauase ;)

As a test, put the gearbox into sports shift mode by pushinmg the lever to the left.
Then check what speed and revs you are doing as you pull back on the lever to jump up from 1 to 2. Is it a smooth change (should be)?
Then ENSURE the speed and revs are similar to the above as you push forward on the lever to drop down from 2 to 1. Is it smooth?

If it's still a rough change 1-2 & 2-1, then do a full auto service and try the above once again, i'm curious to here the results :cool: