Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SSV Redline series 1 auto transmission issue

Merv53

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SSV
+ 1 for rev lack of matching or auto service as a potential cauase ;)

As a test, put the gearbox into sports shift mode by pushinmg the lever to the left.
Then check what speed and revs you are doing as you pull back on the lever to jump up from 1 to 2. Is it a smooth change (should be)?
Then ENSURE the speed and revs are similar to the above as you push forward on the lever to drop down from 2 to 1. Is it smooth?

If it's still a rough change 1-2 & 2-1, then do a full auto service and try the above once again, i'm curious to here the results :cool:
Skylarking, will do and let you know the result

Merv53

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SSV
Skylarking, I did the test you suggested. I stopped at the top of a small hill in sports mode, first gear. I accelerated very gently and, keeping the revs low, moved sports shift to second with no problem. Continued on, keeping revs low and downshifted to first. What I noticed was that, despite my downshift, it stayed in second for a few seconds. The car was accelerating very slightly during these few seconds because of the decline in the road. It then downshifted to first with a fairly severe clunk. I got the same result the next time I did it but after that things seemed to go ok as if it had warmed up or something.
The car is still under warranty, so I should get it checked. If it stays like it is I will avoid this 2 to 1 downshift cause it really is a strong thud/clunk that sets you back in the seat. That can't be good for the transmission. I have no other problems whatsoever with the transmission. What do you think?
Merv

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
i only ever shift into first when sitting still, i don't feel like first is good for much. even old manual cars i'd never shift to 1st when in motion.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Skylarking, I did the test you suggested. I stopped at the top of a small hill in sports mode, first gear. I accelerated very gently and, keeping the revs low, moved sports shift to second with no problem. Continued on, keeping revs low and downshifted to first. What I noticed was that, despite my downshift, it stayed in second for a few seconds. The car was accelerating very slightly during these few seconds because of the decline in the road. It then downshifted to first with a fairly severe clunk. I got the same result the next time I did it but after that things seemed to go ok as if it had warmed up or something.
The car is still under warranty, so I should get it checked. If it stays like it is I will avoid this 2 to 1 downshift cause it really is a strong thud/clunk that sets you back in the seat. That can't be good for the transmission. I have no other problems whatsoever with the transmission. What do you think?
Merv

How many revs does it shoot up to when you do that?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
You don't really need to be going back to first in a 6+ ltr V8 :p

Heck, in older manuals, GM had a solenoid to lock out first and encourage second gear starts :eek:

At least you can reproduct the problem so that makes it easy to show the service guys ;) It would be intesting to hear what they'd say; though I suspect they'd probably give the standard answer that it's normal o_O

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
How many revs does it shoot up to when you do that?
Yes i was wondering the same about road speed verses engine RPMS just before and after change. If road speed and engine speed are appropriate, the gear change should just fall into place imperceptably (just like on a well timed manual box). But in an auto it still depends on how much intervention is done with a manual change and whether auto throttle blip is occuring :)

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Merv
Best if such tests can be done on a flat quiet road with someone video taping the instrument cluster via a phone as you narate the change of gears at various revs.

Maybe do a bunch of 2-3 and 3-2 changes at various revs, just to get the hang of the gearbox rev matching. Then you can do a bunch of 1-2 and 2-1 changes.

The revs you'd change at depend on gearing but as I haven't really played with mine in that way I can't advise.

Oh, big clunks are not good for the driveline which is why I hated teaching others to drive a manual.; bunny hopping was never fun :confused:

Last edited:

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Merv
Just to clarify, what do you mean by the clunk "really sets you back in the seat"? If you are shifting 2 to 1, and decelerating, you would lurch forward not back?
What happens if you downshift at higher revs, e.g. while braking heavily into corner, or simulating this. Do you still get a thud? It sounds more like movement in the diff housing / bushes than the transmission to me.
However!
The description "like tapping the brakes" is familiar to me. I live on a cul-de-sac at the tope of a hill. If I reverse out the drive, then shift into second (inadvetantly, as I always have the gear selector in sport mode and sometimes tap it into second), then tap back into first with my foot off the accelerator while moving forward (uphill) slowly in second, it will grab first and throw me forward in the seat. However I wouldn't describe it as a thud. I have always believed this was simply due to the torque converter being locked up. I could be wrong though. Note mine has the Camaro deep pan, and wide mouth pick up, it has been tuned and has 87,000k's on the clock.

Merv53

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SSV
The noticeable thing with this problem is that it only happens at slow speed and going down hill. When it happens, it stays in second for a few secs after I make the change and then (as 426 cuda described it) it "grabs first" which immediately slows you down in what could be described as the complete opposite to a smooth change, like say if you changed to first in a manuel when your speed/revs are too high. It doesn't always do it.
I am happy to avoid the 2nd to first change in future cause as Skylarking says you don't really need to do it. My main concern however that it could be a sign of a problem that might raise its head in something else to do with the transmission in the future.The car is still under warranty.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
The noticeable thing with this problem is that it only happens at slow speed and going down hill. When it happens, it stays in second for a few secs after I make the change and then (as 426 cuda described it) it "grabs first" which immediately slows you down in what could be described as the complete opposite to a smooth change, like say if you changed to first in a manuel when your speed/revs are too high. It doesn't always do it.
I am happy to avoid the 2nd to first change in future cause as Skylarking says you don't really need to do it. My main concern however that it could be a sign of a problem that might raise its head in something else to do with the transmission in the future.The car is still under warranty.
I wouldn't be pushing it back to 1st. I've done it a few times and still do if I want to make the car roar but I don't think going back to first gear is good for the auto. It should go back to first if the revs are tii high and you will see the warning shift denied. It like throwing it into reverse while moving forward. This will do nothing as it has been locked into forward gear. It will only go into reverse once the car stops.