Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vf ssv seat bolsters vs calais bolsters(any difference)

Unicorn

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon
Does the Calais have smaller/shorter seat bolsters on the seat base as compared to a ss/ssv?
I really like my car but the side bolsters are uncomfortable for my fat arse,if I could get different seats which are more comfortable that would be great.

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII Calais V 6.2L Sed
I think they are the same size/design wise, but are upholstered differently. ie: material and pattern.

Unicorn

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon
Cheers, was hoping the Calais bolsters were smaller.

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
I actually got the impression that in the VF Series 1s, the Calais and Calais V seats were different to the SSVR which had a different type of bolstering as a ‘sports seat’ vs ‘luxury seat’. This would be different again to the SS and Sv6 which had a different material covering and less padding yet still considered a ‘sports seat’, while the SSV had the same sports seat but leather stitching. Please correct me if I’m wrong here - I am going by memory only.

In the Series 2 I think cost cutting by Holden resulted in the same seats used by the Calais and SSVR with the same leather covers too, though I am unsure if there is any difference in bolstering to the SSV, SS and Sv6.

I miss the softer padding of my Series 1 Sv6 compared to the hard padding of my Series 2 Calais V.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
I actually got the impression that in the VF Series 1s, the Calais and Calais V seats were different to the SSVR which had a different type of bolstering

This is correct. Series 1 redlines had a much more pronounced side bolster than Calais/Calais V, SS/SSV and indeed series 2 redlines. Have a look on carsales or google images for a comparison. The difference is quite obvious

In the Series 2 I think cost cutting by Holden resulted in the same seats used by the Calais and SSVR

I think it was more to do with the inordinate amount of warranty claims due to early deterioration/squashing of the larger bolsters. (essentially cost-cutting in a way I suppose). Shame really, because it's not that difficult (physical hindrances aside) to sit 'over' the bolster rather than 'on' it when entering/exiting.

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
This is correct. Series 1 redlines had a much more pronounced side bolster than Calais/Calais V, SS/SSV and indeed series 2 redlines. Have a look on carsales or google images for a comparison. The difference is quite obvious.
Are you sure the extra bolsteryness on SSVR seats wasn't just the MY2013 model year?
Someone 'round here said they reduced the seat-base bolsters after the first year - unsure of the reason though, whether to reduce costs or reduce warranty claims due to the bolster crushing when you get in & the cheap dinosaur-bones-leather cracking before the end of warranty.
If MY2014 & MY2015 had different seats to VF2, then there're 3 different types of seat-base used in SSVR's! [I think padding/bolsters, if not trim, was the same between VE2 SSVR & MY2013 VF?]

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
Are you sure the extra bolsteryness on SSVR seats wasn't just the MY2013 model year?

You could be right. I looked it up ages ago and that may well be the case. A quick look on carsales seems to show MY14 with the larger ones though. (only looked at a couple however)

If MY2014 & MY2015 had different seats to VF2, then there're 3 different types of seat-base used in SSVR's

How does series 2 redlines differ from MY14/15?

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
I miss the softer padding of my Series 1 Sv6 compared to the hard padding of my Series 2 Calais V.

I've never owned an SV6, but have sat in plenty and tend to agree. Compared to my Series 2 Calais V they were much more comfortable. Ever considered swapping them out?

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
I've never owned an SV6, but have sat in plenty and tend to agree. Compared to my Series 2 Calais V they were much more comfortable. Ever considered swapping them out?

I did contemplate swapping them around but thought otherwise because of my thoughts that they were different seats / seat bases and the electronic tilt and lumbar support of the Calais may have made it more difficult to do this swap. Though if I find an appropriate Series 1 Calais V set of seats, this would be much easier however I have not experienced a Series 1 Calais seat yet.

I guess the rear seat base would be worth swapping if I can find a decent VF1 Calais - how about those missing cup holders? :p

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
I sat in a Redline back in 2013 with the bigger bolsters and found them really uncomfortable just on the test drive. Turned me off the car completely. GTS seats on the other hand, with even bigger bolstering feel roomy and super comfortable. I recently saw a newish Clubsport on carsales with SS seats. Don't know what was going on there.