Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vf ssv seat bolsters vs calais bolsters(any difference)

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
I sat in a Redline back in 2013 with the bigger bolsters and found them really uncomfortable just on the test drive. Turned me off the car completely. GTS seats on the other hand, with even bigger bolstering feel roomy and super comfortable. I recently saw a newish Clubsport on carsales with SS seats. Don't know what was going on there.

That should be the Clubsport R8 Black editions which were the last of the LS3 equipped ones and used the same SSVR seating.

Have to say nothing probably beats a set of Clubsport or the Limited Edition seats for comfort! :cool:

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
That should be the Clubsport R8 Black editions which were the last of the LS3 equipped ones and used the same SSVR seating.

Have to say nothing probably beats a set of Clubsport or the Limited Edition seats for comfort! :cool:

My E3 Maloo seats are so much better than my Magnum seats, just lack seat heaters...

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
My E3 Maloo seats are so much better than my Magnum seats, just lack seat heaters...

That's one area HSV showed evidence of cost-cutting over the years - the seats. Look at the plush (real leather too I believe) seating on some of the earlier models (Coulsons anyone..?) not to mention the model of each car being embroidered on them. They went from that to generic seating across the range in GENF/F2, apart from the track edition (which granted..was cheaper). Even grange scored the standard seating, despite being the luxo model. I know they improved in other areas, but seating is an integral part of everyday driving comfort and experience. They could have done a bit better I think.

M

mwb235

The SV6/SS front seats seem to wear better than the Calais V seats, at least it seems that way when I look at the ones at wreckers or on ebay etc. I'm thinking the seat foams are firmer on SV6/SS. And i note the specs section in my VF series 1 sales catalog shows the SV6/SS/SSV with a black dot next to "sport seats" whereas Calais/Calais V has not available.

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
I've just done a bit of a quick look on Carsales. Looks like both the SSVR and SSV of MY13 had the thicker bolstering on the seat base with the difference being the stitching of red vs white. I can see that it got carried forward to MY14 but of 2013 builds, with 2014 builds and onwards having the 'reduced' bolstering.

The Calais / Calais V seat does not look to have changed in its entire existence. SS and Sv6 have the same suede seats through its existence too. There might be differences to the trained eye in seat contours because of the description Holden provides ("sports seats") but this may also be a reference to the type of seat cushioning used too.

snortings

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 SV6
Having a look on carsales, they all look the same to me :p

Unicorn

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon
So by the sounds of it the bolsters are chunkier explaining the discomfort im feeling,im sure the Calais I sat in had smaller bolsters but I cant be 100% sure which is why I asked the question,sounds like the seats changed quite a few times over the years.
Might have to get the tape measure out.

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
I wonder how nice the gtsr and w1 seats are...:cool:

Unicorn

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon
I was going to put up pics but it wouldn’t let me, said I hadn’t added any media yet? What does that mean?
I measured the highest part of the side bolster and it’s 100mm high measuring from the top of the plastic side cover where the adjusting buttons/levers are. They are higher and a different shape to Calais going by pics. Anyone want to swap Calais front seats for mine ;)