Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SSV vs Calais V

RED LION

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
Silly question. Do you mean SSV or SSV Redline? The Redline is comparable to the Calais V but the SSV is a tier below.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Yes Red Lion's question/point is valid, it can be confusing without the nitty-gritty.

People have said "the SS has Brembos" for example, but you need to get a Redline to get the Brembos (& the sub & sunroof & the staggered rims).
An SSV (non Redline) is mechanically (brakes & suspension & usually wheel-size) the same as an SS but has the interior/trim/non-mechanical-equipment of an SSV-R.

Holden also dropped the SSV for the final year of production, and they weren't selling as many anyway (from the SS range the dealer we bought ours from was selling ~45% SS, ~45% SSVR, and only ~10% SSV), so there aren't likely to be as many SSV's around to choose from.

One final thing that just occurred to me; it's easier to just look at the equipment in a car you're considering buying, rather than trying to keep track of when Holden fitted or deleted what trim/equipment … don't make assumptions, anything you want in a car keep a checklist & check it on the car you're looking at!
Some examples,
(*) Heads-Up Display (we love ours!) wasn't available in SSV in the earlier years & I forget when it was introduced
(*) VF1 2015 SSVR has different wheel design to 2013 & 2014, and the 2015 wheel was only available in black in Aus
(*) Flappy-paddles were only introduced in V1 for 2015 (SSVR was standard, unsure if SSV was standard, and can't remember if they were an option for SS)
(*) the red stitching on the SSV/SSVR trim went away for VF2 (I think)
(*) the chrome SSV/SSVR doorhandle highlights went away for either VF2 or 2015 VF1 (can't recall which - and I can understand people wanting to avoid them!)
(*) the 2013 SSV & SSVR had more supportive seat-base thigh bolsters than later years
(*) sedans lost the rear-seat pop-out cupholders at some stage during production
(*) apart from the Lowndes Edition, no VF1 came with front & rear Brembos
They're just some examples, lots of small fiddles & tweaks

Last edited:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Maybe a Director or MSE would fill your needs?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm sure that if you can point him to one that costs the same as a VF1 SSV in the same condition he'll be all ears. :)

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I'm sure that if you can point him to one that costs the same as a VF1 SSV in the same condition he'll be all ears. :)

As would I !!

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
SS best value especially for mods or appearance changes, SSV for HUD, SSvR for launch control.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
^ As I said a few poasts above … you can't necessarily generalise a spec-level to get a piece of equipment.
When we were looking, SSV's didn't have the HUD, but I can't recall if we were looking at MY14 or MY15 cars.

*edit*
Oh, and another example, I doubt an SS Black Edition is worth any more than the same-age SS, but I'm around 75% sure that the Black Edition got the HUD (maybe also SS Storm?)

Last edited:

jono67

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 S1 Calais V Sportwagon V6
^ As I said a few poasts above … you can't necessarily generalise a spec-level to get a piece of equipment.
When we were looking, SSV's didn't have the HUD, but I can't recall if we were looking at MY14 or MY15 cars.
I've an 2015 April build SSV MY15, sadly no HUD:(

To answer the OP's question 4. It's a personal choice, but for me an SSV manual was a no brainer. I would have gone a Redline but for the sunroof (no offence to those who have them, just not a fan of the sunroof).