Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SSVR windscreen rattle/squeaks

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by Anthony121, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Anthony121

Anthony121 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
    I remember reading on here about a VF windscreen being re glued due to a rattle in the car coming from the windscreen. I have a noise that is annoying me for a while and was wondering if it was coming from the screen which now it has been confirmed. I thought it was the door rubbers rattling about but not so.

I can only hear it when the radio is off and also can hear the same noise coming from the rear window.
    Can anyone else please advise if they have the same issue?

2. duaned

duaned Active Member

Members Ride:
    M6 Red Hot MSE
    No, but I did with my series 1 VF SS. Glad I got rid of it. My current Redline is fine.

3. Redline 2017

Redline 2017 Active Member

Members Ride:
    2017 VF 2 SSV REDLINE
    Yeah Anthony121, it was ours. It was a subtle rubber creeping sound that "rippled" across the windscreen with body movement, even driving straight on a relatively flat road surface. Holden sorted it, after we diagnosed the problem for them, it went to Holden Technical as well lol. Just a simple screen cut and refit.

4. Anthony121

Members Ride:
    Cool, I hope mine is a easy fix too. Although I can hear the same sound coming from the rear window too.

5. WalshySSVR

WalshySSVR New Member

Members Ride:
    2017 SSVR M6
    I think i have the same issue. If you press down on the windscreen from the outside do you see obvious movement? Is that normal? Don't know myself...

6. SSVREDLINE2014

SSVREDLINE2014 Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV Redline
    I have some creaking sound in my car also. Surprised if whats been said in this thread ends up being the issue. So it's mainly front and back window screens? If I apply pressure to the windscreen what am I suppose to see?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  7. Anthony121

Members Ride:
    The windows do flex a fair bit. I e had an engineer look at mine and both windows do it. We think it's the top rubber making the noise. It isn't the glue just a seal. He is going to spray some silicon sealant in between the gap of the seal and the body. Wet the car and then go for a drive. I notice after washing the car the sound disappeared. It's also noisier when the car has been in the sun. It's annoying as you can hear it while driving. See how you go.

8. Redline 2017

Members Ride:
    2017 VF 2 SSV REDLINE
    We have 5000 ks on our Redline now and the windscreen was refitted at 1500 ks, it's rock solid and no issues, or sounds wet dry cold or hot, and I mean cold we have had 3 minus 10 nights this winter.

SSteve likes this.
  9. LS1SS

LS1SS Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF Redline.1970 Dodge R/T Challenger 440 six pack.
    Our work cars are x Vic police cars,I drove one to Newcastle last week and noticed these Comms are extremely tight with no afore mentioned windscreen squeaks with over 251000 Ks on this particular one but did notice the screen delaminating right across the top,checked them all and found one more delamination,I wonder if this is a problem as they get older.

10. CyanPixie

CyanPixie Member

Members Ride:
    VFII MY17 SSV Redline - Slipstream Blue
    Yup, had the same problem on my VF2 when I went over any sort of ripple and was driving me nuts. I took it to the dealer, they fitted a new windscreen and told me the cause was that there wasn't enough sealant on it from the factory. I have had no creaking since. This was with within the first 1000km's.

Paulie81 likes this.
  11. Anthony121

Members Ride:
    Silicon spray along the top rubber fixed my windscreen noise. Very happy the screen did not have to come out.

426Cuda likes this.
  12. RastusSSVRedline

RastusSSVRedline New Member

Members Ride:
    2017 Commodore VF2 Redline Sedan
    Hi All

First time poster here. I had the exact same problem with a windscreen rattle that started around 7,000 kms in my Feb 2017 Redline. I could also recreate the noise by pushing on the top inside or outside of the windscreen.

I had it looked at recently during the 15k service. The dealer subsequently removed and re-sealed the windscreen, however the noise remained.

The dealer has had the car for most of this week to work with Holden to resolve. I just received a call today saying that they have traced the fault back to a plastic seal at the top of the windscreen (I believe this seal sits under the windscreen seal, however not 100% sure here) which was causing the noise. Apparently they had another two cars just come in with the same issue, plus Holden advised the dealer that there were another two cars in Sydney with a similar issue.

The dealer sprayed silicon on one of the other cars with this problem, which initially solved the issue however the noise came back within three days.

The issue is currently with Holden to determine a fix for the issue. I will let you know when I hear back from the dealer.

426Cuda likes this.
  13. Anthony121

Members Ride:
    My fix is currently still ok and it defiantly is the top seal of the windscreen that is causing the issue. I drove another MY17 Redline today and that was making the same sound as what my car was doing.

It looks like the thin rubber seal has a different finish on it causing the noise to amplify through the car.

14. RastusSSVRedline

RastusSSVRedline New Member

Members Ride:
    2017 Commodore VF2 Redline Sedan
    Glad to hear your fix is still ok. I know how annoying this noise can be, especially on a new car.

Interesting that the dealer gave me the impression the issue was a plastic seal that was completely separate from the top rubber seal of the windscreen.

I might try the silicon option myself while I wait for Holdens response.

15. Redline 2017

Members Ride:
    2017 VF 2 SSV REDLINE
    Same with ours the movement across the top of the windscreen was an indicator that it wasn't adhered properly

16. Anthony121

Members Ride:
    The top rubber is not glued. The windscreen is glued which is applied by robot process so it has the correct amount of adhesive applied. The rubber top seal is just a water seal.

17. Redline 2017

Members Ride:
    2017 VF 2 SSV REDLINE
    Pity ours wasn't, with a clear area of no urethane on the paint..... Oops robot. Still if it is happening this often on this fairly isolated thread on this forum, I would say there are quite a few instances out there of it happening to 2017 model vfs, reported and unreported, sounds like a calibration issue.

18. ndwalters

ndwalters Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 Redline
    My redline has 22000 kms, 12 months old and the creaking started a month ago.

Sounds like I need to go see Holden....

19. WalshySSVR

WalshySSVR New Member

Members Ride:
    2017 SSVR M6
    Just got my car back from the dealer today. Advised it's now a known issue with a technical bulletin in circulation. Here's the shot the details from my invoice. Might be helpful to those who need it.

Attached Files:

LS3SS, ndwalters, UTE042_NZ and 2 others like this.
  20. WalshySSVR

WalshySSVR New Member

Members Ride:
    2017 SSVR M6
    Didnt want to jinx it straight away, but a few days later, the fix is still good. Car is silent again. No more creaking or groaning over bumps and undulations. Feels a whole lot more sorted as a result. Previously, the Sydney dealers were just thinking it was door and sunroof seals, which have both proven to be furfies. Amazing how little things, once they've gotten your attention, can really sap one's enjoyment out of owning a car. Eagers Holden in Brisbane fixed it. Shout out to the foreman (Ben, I think it is) who had a great attitude and heap of knowledge. Exactly what you hope for when you're trying to get something fixed.

Redline 2017 and UTE042_NZ like this.