Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SSVR windscreen rattle/squeaks

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Zappaboy, I'm also interested to know what the door guides are. Do you mean window guides that are located inside the doors?
I had the little black mark appear on my VFI, had no idea what caused it, so far not a problem on my VFII but would be good to know for future reference.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Zappaboy, I'm also interested to know what the door guides are. Do you mean window guides that are located inside the doors?
I had the little black mark appear on my VFI, had no idea what caused it, so far not a problem on my VFII but would be good to know for future reference.
Where do you see the black mark dpg?

Paulie81

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII Prussian Steel SS-V Redline Manual
In regard to the door rattles, have you tried putting some electrical tape around the door strike. This greatly reduced the door rattles in my Calais V and while the tape does not last you can reapply it. Note the VF models do not have anything around the strike whereas the VE had a hard black plastic cover around the strike. I was told it was not necessary for the strike cover in the VF as it uses more high strength steel compared with the VE but then the door skins are 1mm thinner in the VF compared with the VE to save weight but then I suppose door skins are not a structural component. I reckon it was just cost cutting by Holden for the VF compared with the VE. Another thing that may cause the door rattles is that in the VF there is only one door guide where in the VE there is two and these door guides wear out. I had the single unit in my VF replaced and the cost of the part was $7.80. The reason for the replacement was the common problem on early VF models is that the front door window has a black mark on the top of the windows which can be wiped off which also indicates that the door guide has worn out.

Yes I did however it made no noticeable difference to me. The sound comes from the vertical piece of hard plastic that runs up the driver and passenger window. Its only on bumpy roads that you hear it. Im just glad the windscreen sound is gone because that was really annoying

zappaboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 Sportswagon, Motorsport Auto VE Ute
Sorry I meant windows guides. You may be right about the door skin thickness. I tried to find my source but could not at this stage but I still sure it said 1mm reduction. One of my sources are listed below but I realise the media are not always accurate but this document was released after VF was being sold so I assume the source for Drive was Holden.

The black marks show at the very top of the windows about two thirds from the front. They are small black rubbery marks which can be rubbed away.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Where do you see the black mark dpg?

Cuda, see response from zappaboy below, my marks appeared at the same position, two thirds back from the front, approx 5mm from very top of window (concealed if window fully up). They appeared to be a type of grease that could be wiped away.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cuda, see response from zappaboy below, my marks appeared at the same position, two thirds back from the front, approx 5mm from very top of window (concealed if window fully up). They appeared to be a type of grease that could be wiped away.
Cheers. Checked mine out. Can't see anything.

silverlion

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF II SV6 Ute
Dealership finally got around to doing the silicone/lubricant fix for my windscreen. No noises to report (touch wood)
Funny, driver side door was creaking when opening into maximum position and they lubed that too.

Paulie81

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII Prussian Steel SS-V Redline Manual
Good to hear its fixed :)

TTubrag

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline
Guys,
I noticed the same noise yesterday for the first time, driving solo with stereo off. Can't hear it with stereo on. No visible movement of windscreen when pressure is applied. Car was manufactured late 09/16 and has 9,500km.
I'd rather not have to go through the hassle of demonstrating the issue to Holden Service or getting the windscreen cut and refit, especially if a simple lube job will silence the creaking for good.

So to those who've done the lube job themselves, is it just a case of pulling back the outer rubber seal at the top horizontal edge of the windscreen (refer attached pic) and spraying behind that with lube?
And how much lube should be sprayed in? Flood it, or just lube it as if you were lubing a hinge?

A question also to Ausroamer, I also prefer the Lanox lanolin product as the lanolin won't evaporate, whereas the delivery medium in some silicon lube sprays can actually dry out rubber over time. This could slowly aggravate the problem (assuming the inner seal is actually rubber). But lanolin has it's own distinctive smell (that does dissipate over time). So...
Did you notice the lanolin smell in the cabin after spraying? And,
For how long did the lanolin silence the creaking?

Attachments

• IMG_7226.jpg
    IMG_7226.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 341
Last edited:

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ditto, i noticed the windscreen creaking noise just before I parked it a month or so back. I haven't driven it since as I'm waiting for rocker arms.
I want to use lanolin lube too, but I'm cautious of maybe staining the hood lining?