Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SSVR windscreen rattle/squeaks

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I haven't looked at the windscreen seal but I assume it's rubber seen on the outside of the vehicle. Do you need to lift the seal flap up and insert a nozzle to spray inder it?

Does anyone have some pics as to where and how they sprayed the silicon/lanox?

Ausroamer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
If you read back through the last 10-20 posts you'll read how its done and a photo of how to lift the seal. In short - its the rubber seal on the top of the screen (outside). Lift the seal with a plastic trim tool or credit card and run the spray can nozzle pipe along the top between the rubber and the body. I applied as little as I could.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks @Ausroamer

Jumped back a few pages and read forward.

The fact i've had squeeks seems to indicate i may have the problem. As this was intended to be a long term ownership and not a flip, I still have concerns about sprays reacting with seals and the thought of it being a periodic maintenance task just grinds my gears.

More to chat to the dealer service department about... sadly the list seems to be getting longer :mad:

Ausroamer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
I was pretty disappointed to find the issue myself. Some have had Holden pull the screen and reset it. As best I can tell, the issue is normally the seal, which is replaced when the screen is refitted. Some have had a screen not properly bonded from factory. For me, I'd rather run a squirt of Lanox when required than have the screen cut out - I just don't trust them to do it right....

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'd rather run a squirt of Lanox when required than have the screen cut out - I just don't trust them to do it right....
I can fully understand that thinking as i've had issues with windscreen replacements before.

In an old Mazda, i needed a new screen due to large stone strike. The screen was repalced at my home by a 'professional' that tried to save a few dollars by not including some spacer that should have be used on this Mazda. The end result was lots of wind whistle, water leaks and a call back. He removed the screen hoping to reuse the old one but obviously it broke and he had to supply a new one. Then i had to listen to his swearing and profanities while he installed another screen. Not a great process to sit through and hardly what i'd call professional.

As frustrating as that was, using sprays/oils would be just as frustrating unless Holden specified what should be used and how to have it applied, then warrant it will not damage paint, rubber, plastic, headliner, etc. I don't want to be a Holden beta tester with my MSE.

AIUI, we are not quite at that level of documented and warranted solution (other than a full windscreen replacement) :( It's a loose loose. o_O

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
I think my car was one of the first to have the silicon spray and that was mid last year. No noise as yet and the car gets washed regulatory. I know of the problem but didn't want my screen to be cut out and replaced. The problem is the top seal. Needs to be replaced on both windows. Not worth cutting windows out to replace top rubber seal.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Does anyone know if the rear windscreen is affected too?

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Does anyone know if the rear windscreen is affected too?
Yes my car had both screens with the same problem. It seems like a batch of seals were not heat treated correctly.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Yes my car had both screens with the same problem. It seems like a batch of seals were not heat treated correctly.
Thanks Anthony. That worries me a little. As succesful as the Inox etal solution has been, it can only be a short term solution. I think ultimately both screens will need to come out and be refitted properly. No worse than having a cracked windscreen replaced though, I suppose. Should be done by an expert with at least equal to factory warranty though. If not lifetime.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
If not lifetime.

Does your insurance have lifetime repair guarantee ?

It would be a shame if something impacted your screen such that it had to be replaced under insurance.