Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SSVR windscreen rattle/squeaks

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Silicon spray along the top rubber fixed my windscreen noise. Very happy the screen did not have to come out.

RastusSSVRedline

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Commodore VF2 Redline Sedan
Hi All

First time poster here. I had the exact same problem with a windscreen rattle that started around 7,000 kms in my Feb 2017 Redline. I could also recreate the noise by pushing on the top inside or outside of the windscreen.

I had it looked at recently during the 15k service. The dealer subsequently removed and re-sealed the windscreen, however the noise remained.

The dealer has had the car for most of this week to work with Holden to resolve. I just received a call today saying that they have traced the fault back to a plastic seal at the top of the windscreen (I believe this seal sits under the windscreen seal, however not 100% sure here) which was causing the noise. Apparently they had another two cars just come in with the same issue, plus Holden advised the dealer that there were another two cars in Sydney with a similar issue.

The dealer sprayed silicon on one of the other cars with this problem, which initially solved the issue however the noise came back within three days.

The issue is currently with Holden to determine a fix for the issue. I will let you know when I hear back from the dealer.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi All

First time poster here. I had the exact same problem with a windscreen rattle that started around 7,000 kms in my Feb 2017 Redline. I could also recreate the noise by pushing on the top inside or outside of the windscreen.

I had it looked at recently during the 15k service. The dealer subsequently removed and re-sealed the windscreen, however the noise remained.

The dealer has had the car for most of this week to work with Holden to resolve. I just received a call today saying that they have traced the fault back to a plastic seal at the top of the windscreen (I believe this seal sits under the windscreen seal, however not 100% sure here) which was causing the noise. Apparently they had another two cars just come in with the same issue, plus Holden advised the dealer that there were another two cars in Sydney with a similar issue.

The dealer sprayed silicon on one of the other cars with this problem, which initially solved the issue however the noise came back within three days.

The issue is currently with Holden to determine a fix for the issue. I will let you know when I hear back from the dealer.

My fix is currently still ok and it defiantly is the top seal of the windscreen that is causing the issue. I drove another MY17 Redline today and that was making the same sound as what my car was doing.

It looks like the thin rubber seal has a different finish on it causing the noise to amplify through the car.

RastusSSVRedline

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Commodore VF2 Redline Sedan
Glad to hear your fix is still ok. I know how annoying this noise can be, especially on a new car.

Interesting that the dealer gave me the impression the issue was a plastic seal that was completely separate from the top rubber seal of the windscreen.

I might try the silicon option myself while I wait for Holdens response.

Redline 2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF 2 SSV REDLINE
Yup, had the same problem on my VF2 when I went over any sort of ripple and was driving me nuts. I took it to the dealer, they fitted a new windscreen and told me the cause was that there wasn't enough sealant on it from the factory. I have had no creaking since. This was with within the first 1000km's.
Same with ours the movement across the top of the windscreen was an indicator that it wasn't adhered properly

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
Same with ours the movement across the top of the windscreen was an indicator that it wasn't adhered properly
The top rubber is not glued. The windscreen is glued which is applied by robot process so it has the correct amount of adhesive applied. The rubber top seal is just a water seal.

Redline 2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF 2 SSV REDLINE
The top rubber is not glued. The windscreen is glued which is applied by robot process so it has the correct amount of adhesive applied. The rubber top seal is just a water seal.
Pity ours wasn't, with a clear area of no urethane on the paint..... Oops robot. Still if it is happening this often on this fairly isolated thread on this forum, I would say there are quite a few instances out there of it happening to 2017 model vfs, reported and unreported, sounds like a calibration issue.

WalshySSVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSVR M6
Just got my car back from the dealer today. Advised it's now a known issue with a technical bulletin in circulation. Here's the shot the details from my invoice. Might be helpful to those who need it.

Attachments

• IMG_2056.JPG
    IMG_2056.JPG
    153.2 KB · Views: 833

WalshySSVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSVR M6
Didnt want to jinx it straight away, but a few days later, the fix is still good. Car is silent again. No more creaking or groaning over bumps and undulations. Feels a whole lot more sorted as a result. Previously, the Sydney dealers were just thinking it was door and sunroof seals, which have both proven to be furfies. Amazing how little things, once they've gotten your attention, can really sap one's enjoyment out of owning a car. Eagers Holden in Brisbane fixed it. Shout out to the foreman (Ben, I think it is) who had a great attitude and heap of knowledge. Exactly what you hope for when you're trying to get something fixed.