Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SSVR windscreen rattle/squeaks

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Redline 2017, were you getting your screen to flex by pushing on the top of the screen from outside the car?

RastusSSVRedline

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Commodore VF2 Redline Sedan
I had the same issue and could create the flex/creaking noise by pushing on both the top inside and outside of the windscreen (needed to be a solid push).

Holden had the windscreen removed and resealed, however this only fixed the issue by around 50%. The silicon fix noted earlier appears to have now fixed the issue completely. It has been around five weeks now and still no noise.

I know my dealer had been in contact with Holden a number of times on this matter, so Holden should be all across this issue.

Make sure they also check the back windscreen for the same noise. The dealer picked this up with my car and applied the silicon fix.

Redline 2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF 2 SSV REDLINE
Redline 2017, were you getting your screen to flex by pushing on the top of the screen from outside the car?
From inside, I noticed the movement as I was walking beside the Carr with my hand on the windscreen and turret join, when my wife was reversing slowly out of the driveway, I jumped inside and was able to get a barely perceptible movement across the top towards the corner.

WalshySSVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSVR M6
My windscreen didnt flex much (if at all) but the silicon fix totally solved the creaking. I’m not sure whether they needed to remove the windscreen to do it (I think not). If they didn’t, it’s probably best to get the dealer to try the silicon fix before cracking open the windscreen seals.

Paulie81

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII Prussian Steel SS-V Redline Manual
Hi All

First time poster here. I had the exact same problem with a windscreen rattle that started around 7,000 kms in my Feb 2017 Redline. I could also recreate the noise by pushing on the top inside or outside of the windscreen.

I had it looked at recently during the 15k service. The dealer subsequently removed and re-sealed the windscreen, however the noise remained.

The dealer has had the car for most of this week to work with Holden to resolve. I just received a call today saying that they have traced the fault back to a plastic seal at the top of the windscreen (I believe this seal sits under the windscreen seal, however not 100% sure here) which was causing the noise. Apparently they had another two cars just come in with the same issue, plus Holden advised the dealer that there were another two cars in Sydney with a similar issue.

The dealer sprayed silicon on one of the other cars with this problem, which initially solved the issue however the noise came back within three days.

The issue is currently with Holden to determine a fix for the issue. I will let you know when I hear back from the dealer.

Did you have any updates on this?

RastusSSVRedline

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Commodore VF2 Redline Sedan
No further update from the dealer to date. To be honest the silicon seems to have completely fixed this issue on my car (see my recent post above) so I haven’t had a need to follow up at this point.

I will see if the dealer has any further info the next time I take the car in, however looking at recent posts here it would seem that silicon has become the standard fix for this issue.

I wonder if there is anyone here who has had this silicon fix applied and has found that the noise subsequently returned?

irdonn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS
Followed Anthony121's advice for my rattling front and sometimes rear windscreens today. I used a rubber door wedge to gently separate the rubber strip from the roof and slowly slid it along with a can of silicone spray with a plastic tip in tow.

Drove home in the heat and no rattle/squeak.

Touch wood and everything else. Thanks for the advice. I'll report back in a few weeks. :)

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
I have been keeping an eye on this thread and think I am having the windscreen sqeak everyone is talking about but I have an issue with applying silicone spray as the repair.
Wouldn't it stand to reason that the silicon spray is coating a surface to stop the sqeak that should be securely bonded to another surface, with no air gap for silicone to penetrate? Thus making this not a real fix, just a customer pleasing/go away solution.
Secondly, as someone who details the car regularly, applying paint protection products after a paint correction, the silicone spray would impede this process. Panel shops absolutely hate silicone because if there is any present on a vehicles body, paint won't stick to it.

Redline 2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF 2 SSV REDLINE
I have been keeping an eye on this thread and think I am having the windscreen sqeak everyone is talking about but I have an issue with applying silicone spray as the repair.
Wouldn't it stand to reason that the silicon spray is coating a surface to stop the sqeak that should be securely bonded to another surface, with no air gap for silicone to penetrate? Thus making this not a real fix, just a customer pleasing/go away solution.
Secondly, as someone who details the car regularly, applying paint protection products after a paint correction, the silicone spray would impede this process. Panel shops absolutely hate silicone because if there is any present on a vehicles body, paint won't stick to it.
In the case of my windscreen, and panel shop you are correct on both counts, however I can't speak for others experiences with their urethane bead, but if they have the same movement I did, then part of their screens is not bonded. Which in my opinion is a safety concern as modern day cars, especially our style, use the screen as a structural component.

Last edited:

Redline 2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF 2 SSV REDLINE
In the case of my windscreen, and panel shop you are correct on both counts, however I can't speak for others experiences with their urethane bead, but if they have the same movement I did, then part of their screens is not bonded. Which in my opinion is a safety concern as modern day cars, especially our style, use the screen as a structural component.
Today’s windshields are a safety device just like seat belts and airbags. The installation of the auto glass is done with an automotive grade urethane designed specifically for automobiles. The adhesive creates a molecular bond between the glass and the vehicle. If the adhesive bond fails at any point on the glass it can reduce the effectiveness of the air bag and substantially compromise the structural integrity of the roof.[citation needed]The urethane sealant is protected from UV in sunlight by a band of dark dots around the edge of the windshield. The darkened edge transitions to the clear windshield with smaller dots to minimize thermal stress in manufacturing. The same band of darkened dots is often expanded around the rear view mirror to act as a sunshade.[3]...... Just a grab from wiki.