Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SSVR windscreen rattle/squeaks

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
The top seal does not have any glue against the body. It is only a rubber seal. The windscreen is bonded against the car and window. The noise is coming from the seal as it slightly rubs against the car body. The windscreens do flex a bit. After all it is a rubber compound not a weld.

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
I applied silicone spray about 2 weeks ago and the noise completely disappeared. Since then, I have pressure washed the car twice, particularly paying attention to the top of the screen where the noise was coming from. Yesterday the noise started to return slightly.

I never cancelled the booking with the dealer for this coming Tuesday, so I will drop the car off and flog one of their cars for a few days.

Redline 2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF 2 SSV REDLINE
The top seal does not have any glue against the body. It is only a rubber seal. The windscreen is bonded against the car and window. The noise is coming from the seal as it slightly rubs against the car body. The windscreens do flex a bit. After all it is a rubber compound not a weld.
You should have no perceptible movement from your screen, period. Mine was not bonded over a 150 mm area, as in there was urethane applied but not touching one of the surfaces, I have cut out hundred of front screens and installed alot more, bad fitments was a common issue on a particular Mazda model a while ago, and sometimes, on some cars, it's enough to let big wind noise in, other times water!!!! it's not a big deal to have a professional cut out your glass, it should be replaced after a period anyway. I get mine done on all my other cars under insurance every 12 months, due to the kilometres I do in them, hopefully less often in the Redline. Maybe our situation is different to everyone else's however it was a few phone calls and 2 visits, and fixed, and as the dealership carried out the work, free and warranted

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
You should have no perceptible movement from your screen, period. Mine was not bonded over a 150 mm area, as in there was urethane applied but not touching one of the surfaces, I have cut out hundred of front screens and installed alot more, bad fitments was a common issue on a particular Mazda model a while ago, and sometimes, on some cars, it's enough to let big wind noise in, other times water!!!! it's not a big deal to have a professional cut out your glass, it should be replaced after a period anyway. I get mine done on all my other cars under insurance every 12 months, due to the kilometres I do in them, hopefully less often in the Redline. Maybe our situation is different to everyone else's however it was a few phone calls and 2 visits, and fixed, and as the dealership carried out the work, free and warranted

Just on the note of movement, the whole roof flexes with the glass so it has bonded.

WeeGee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG S-Pack Ute M5 (L27) and VF2 SS A6 (LS3)
Does the sound seem like a minor tick/click noise what seems like it's coming from above the rear view mirror or interior light? Does it happen only when on rough bitumen or over minor road bumps?

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
Mine was like an old creaky door sound and I could make it happen on demand by just reversing off the rolled edge driveway on an angle so the body twists. Or press on the top of the windscreen firmly from outside.

RastusSSVRedline

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Commodore VF2 Redline Sedan
Mine sounded like two pieces of plastic slightly rubbing back and forth against each other as you drove along pretty much any type of uneven road, particularly at speeds below 60kmph. It was difficult to pinpoint where the sound was coming from exactly (basically sounded to me like is was coming from the top and sides of the windscreen), however I could only duplicate the sound by pushing firmly at the top of the windscreen from the inside/outside.

WalshySSVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSVR M6
Mine sounded like two pieces of plastic slightly rubbing back and forth against each other as you drove along pretty much any type of uneven road, particularly at speeds below 60kmph. It was difficult to pinpoint where the sound was coming from exactly (basically sounded to me like is was coming from the top and sides of the windscreen), however I could only duplicate the sound by pushing firmly at the top of the windscreen from the inside/outside.
Nailed it!

WalshySSVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSVR M6
Mine was like an old creaky door sound and I could make it happen on demand by just reversing off the rolled edge driveway on an angle so the body twists. Or press on the top of the windscreen firmly from outside.
Yep, this is right, too. A couple of dealers were greasing my door seals thinking that was the cause. Not the case, obviously.

Paulie81

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII Prussian Steel SS-V Redline Manual
Mine definitely sounds like it's coming from the windshield seals. My dealership had the car all day today and although they could not guarantee a fix, it's booked in the have the windshield pulled out and resealed next week.

Last edited: