Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SSVredline S1 or S2 supercharged

AKKY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
All to true, I will have this conversation soon. I appreciate all the input from everyone.
This is the first informative, didn't go off topic forum I've joined.
Great members.

*edit*
And now I think about it, the above really all translates to "talk to your chosen tuner about it", doesn't it?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
All to true, I will have this conversation soon. I appreciate all the input from everyone.
This is the first informative, didn't go off topic forum I've joined.
Great members.
We can fix that if youi like? :)

PS. also it might be worth discussing 'round here the relative merits of buying an LSA HSV as per the edit I made to my prior post after you responded ...

AKKY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
No this has been great,

The HSV option seems great considering what you get in them, but after hours of reading comparisons everyone seems to bag them as even more expensive money pits due to the custom panels, more things breaking and more often. It just seems if I kept it as is it would be a beauty in standard form and a real keeper to pass on to one of my kids.

But since I love going down the drag strip I just can't help thinking what a wast it would be to subject such a beautiful car to that kind of abuse.

We can fix that if youi like? :)

Last edited:

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
The enjoyment is a MASSIVE thing for me, but I'm not kidding myself ... even the fastest gear-changing person in the world won't be as fast as even the poxy standard 6L80 or whatever's in the SSVR, especially not if we're talking in the drag-race context.
In standard tune it's a moron, that 'box, in normal driving it'll hold you in 6th gear as you slowly-slowly push the pedal harder & harder wanting to go just that little bit faster without making a fuss; then suddenly you'll reach whatever kickdown threshold it's got, it'll change down to 2nd & rev the snot outta the engine & you'll take off & need to apply the brakes (and there goes your "just want to calmly go a little bit faster"). But despite all that ... if you just want to go FASTER (flatten the foot or use manual mode) it'll keep the power going to the wheels for way more of the time than anyone can in a manual.

Yeah DSG is faster again (when not broken) and The Dummies think it's acceptable when a slushbox isn't because they've been sold on the image thing, but manuals are both slower & thirstier than autos have been for ... geez, it's probably been close to 20 years now?

I think a lot of an autos fuel economy advantage is down to the standardised testing.
They can be programmed to detect the test program (a series of speed ramps and holds) and shuffle up the revs to achieve unrealistic figures.
The new Euro WLTP testing is showing this up. Affects small turbo engines too, that are tuned for the test, not for real world.
I can see larger (still <2l) NA engines and manuals making a comeback in everyday cars (hatchbacks etc)

For me its about control, if I stick it in third, that where is going to stay!
For outright speed yeah an automated manual (a la racing cars) will always give you a perfect shift, but perfection every time is boring right? Plus the terrible fart noises you hear on DSG audis/golfs/mercs is really depressing. Give me some rumble and overrun from a slightly too long manual gear change :D

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
but after hours of reading comparisons everyone seems to bag them as even more expensive money pits due to the custom panels, more things breaking and more often. It just seems if I kept it as is it would be a beauty in standard form and a real keeper to pass on to one of my kids.

a bit of context - a bloke over on the HSV forums owns Australia's fastest LSA GTS (runs 9's) all on stock internals and driveline. Very hard to break the LSA, 6L90E (6L80E on standard Holden V8's) and the huge 9.9 inch diff.

But I also firmly agree with you regarding them being a keeper. I have zero intention of taking mine anywhere near a strip/track for the reasons you have mentioned. Plus if you break it, there is no insurance. Each to their own I guess.

AKKY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
I may as well contribute to my own confusion and ask you wonderful people, gen-f clubby R8 > vf2 ssvr?

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
I may as well contribute to my own confusion and ask you wonderful people, gen-f clubby R8 > vf2 ssvr?

More expensive to buy and insure? Yes!

I made that exact choice. I bought mine because of the colour, the better noise it made (induction not exhaust), partly looks (SSVR ride quite high) and the better interior feel.
Downsides are mainly the above. The HSV tax you get on purchase price, and definitely on insurance. Probably spares too
I drove mine against a late Redline basically back to back which gave me a good comparison. The HSV gave me that bigger fizzing feeling, to quote James May

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
More expensive to buy and insure? Yes!

I made that exact choice. I bought mine because of the colour, the better noise it made (induction not exhaust), partly looks (SSVR ride quite high) and the better interior feel.
Downsides are mainly the above. The HSV tax you get on purchase price, and definitely on insurance. Probably spares too
I drove mine against a late Redline basically back to back which gave me a good comparison. The HSV gave me that bigger fizzing feeling, to quote James May
How did the 2 compare out of interest?

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
How did the 2 compare out of interest?

Well to add to the above post...
The Redline felt a bit less nice inside, its exhaust note sounded a bit more artificial, more exhaust-y. Just didn't hit the same spot, for me at least. My wife knew it was over when I was beaming ear to ear after the HSV test drive. It was more expensive, but don't regret it.
The colour was a big one too. All the Redlines for sale were red, white or black. My car looks black when its overcast, but lights up green when the sun comes out :D

Ultimately they are very closely matched: basically same engine (+/-30kw depending on who you believe), chassis, equipment. I can perfectly understand the opposite argument to mine. The runout LS3 option was a awesome idea from Holden.
I deliberately didn't go for an LSA. While undoubtedly faster, the supercharger whine is something I hate, plus they are an extra 10-15k.

dimetime

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais 6lt
My vote would be S1 provided your definately doing full top end and cam to go with the blower, full suspension new suspension set up and diff rebuild, if your doing all that you'd be doing the same on the s2 anyway and can use the spare money on everything else. Plus S1 has small rear breaks so you can sort out a better drag wheel.