Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SSVredline S1 or S2 supercharged

AKKY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Very interesting thoughts there, never thought about the drag wheels side of thing.
@Derekthetree only reason was I see them similarly priced but if you have to pay extras like tax and more in insurance and premiums then perhaps the HSV is out and we're back to the original cars.

My vote would be S1 provided your definately doing full top end and cam to go with the blower, full suspension new suspension set up and diff rebuild, if your doing all that you'd be doing the same on the s2 anyway and can use the spare money on everything else. Plus S1 has small rear breaks so you can sort out a better drag wheel.

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
Dont forget series 2 6.2 litre has a very high rate of piston slap as compared to not very common at all on a 6 litre s1,that alone would scare me right off the s2,thats common sense speaking out there.
Yes the s2 makes more power stock(30 odd kw) but when supercharged the differences would not be worth speaking about.
Around 12500-13500 for the magnusson 2300 blower kit and install,plus a couple grand for an exhaust plus the cost of a s1 redline which already has bigger brakes which will be needed to engineer a blower and your away,low 11 to high 10 second quarters(depending on boost) from a factory driving and reliable blown daily,dod lifter reliability wont be an issue because it will be turned off.
Factory lsa hsv around here start at around 60-70g,if you can afford one id do that in a second,not everyone has a spare 70g plus mod costs,low 12s from the factory spec lsa will get boring pretty soon.
If you supercharge a 6.0 it will be alot quicker than a stock lsa hsv:) with a much more efficient blower/intercooler setup,those factory setups arent known for being efficient or keeping intake temps at satisfactory levels once pushed.
Thats just my opinion.

AKKY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Damn it does everyone here have to make so much sense I'm starting to understand that regardless of what I choose my goal of a daily 10/11 second car is going to come down to me.
@Milo 6.0, the piston slap in the s2 6.2 is new to me, never knew that was a issue perhaps I just didn't research enough.
Care to enlighten me a little more?

I starting to warm up to the S1 6.0, with the money I can save I can put that towards wheels and suspension to suit the blower. Maybe even toughen up the box some how.

Dont forget series 2 6.2 litre has a very high rate of piston slap as compared to not very common at all on a 6 litre s1,that alone would scare me right off the s2,thats common sense speaking out there.
Yes the s2 makes more power stock(30 odd kw) but when supercharged the differences would not be worth speaking about.
Around 12500-13500 for the magnusson 2300 blower kit and install,plus a couple grand for an exhaust plus the cost of a s1 redline which already has bigger brakes which will be needed to engineer a blower and your away,low 11 to high 10 second quarters(depending on boost) from a factory driving and reliable blown daily,dod lifter reliability wont be an issue because it will be turned off.
Factory lsa hsv around here start at around 60-70g,if you can afford one id do that in a second,not everyone has a spare 70g plus mod costs,low 12s from the factory spec lsa will get boring pretty soon.
If you supercharge a 6.0 it will be alot quicker than a stock lsa hsv:) with a much more efficient blower/intercooler setup,those factory setups arent known for being efficient or keeping intake temps at satisfactory levels once pushed.
Thats just my opinion.

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
The 6 speed auto is fine with a decent tune to firm the shifts up according to my tuner,from what he told me if they are looked after they are a great box.
Do a search on ls3 piston slap on this forum it will tell you everything you need to know,one guy here has had his motor replaced because of piston slap under warranty and the new motor already has piston slap,plenty of guys having the same issues,surprised nobody even mentioned it!
Its not meant to cause reliability issues but i wouldnt be supercharging a motor with piston slap from new,super noisy diesel sounding motor when cold for up to 10-15 mins in some cases until the piston expands in the bore,bad news imo.
Obviousy not all ls3 have piston slap but it is common enough i ceratinly would not risk buying one,plenty selling because of this exact reason,warm the old girl up and drive it to the caryard while its not knocking,once the caryard start it from cold lol,pow shes a pearler... so they just run super thiick oil to help make it a bit quieter for the next sucker.

Last edited:

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
I deliberately didn't go for an LSA. While undoubtedly faster, the supercharger whine is something I hate

There is zero whine from the LSA charger. It's actually one of my few gripes about it.

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
Stock gts lsa runs low 12 over the quarter,thats what you get for 70g.
6.0 with a 2300 magnusson runs alot quicker than that.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Stock gts lsa runs low 12 over the quarter,thats what you get for 70g.
6.0 with a 2300 magnusson runs alot quicker than that.

The price of the car can't be measured in just 1/4 mile times. GTS has a lot more in terms of internals, driveline, suspension etc than an SS. And it won't take many more $$ to get it running a lot quicker than stock times with no other changes. How long will a stock 6.0 with a blower on top last doing pass after pass?

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
The price of the car can't be measured in just 1/4 mile times. GTS has a lot more in terms of internals, driveline, suspension etc than an SS. And it won't take many more $$ to get it running a lot quicker than stock times with no other changes. How long will a stock 6.0 with a blower on top last doing pass after pass?
It should be miles ahead of an ss with a blower for the money you pay.
I was simply talking about going faster than a 70 grand car for a lot less dollars.
Im sure if we all had a spare 80g floating around to buy a gts and mod it we wouldnt be talking about buying supercharger kits for a vf ss right now.
No reason an ss with a decent blower setup/supporting mods/good engine/trans tune shouldnt last just as long as any other car, if its not abused.
Run a number and be happy with it,no need to race the car once a week for its whole life.
I just think in the current economic situation,covid epidemic etc there is someone willing to do this to their car,i think its awesome.