Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vf steering recall could mess up tune?

calaiscanbefast2

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf calais v v8
my mate works at my local gateway Holden and has just started the first recall of the branch and because of the software updates involved said it could mess up my tune (mine is also on the vin list to go in and hes the one who will be doing the work) Im just curious if anyone has got more info on this.

for reference i bought the car from this gateway with the W310 kit fitted (whoever traded it in even paid for the big stupid stickers up the side, since removed) just wondering what the story is if they do muck the tune or reload the factory one, car has an OTR and a 3 inch so would probably run like a dog on factory tune.

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
Ask them in writing if they reload the W310 tune after they load the steering fix. Also ask what other tunes they could upload - or just pay a tuner and get a dyno tune done and get mnuch more than 310 out of it.

calaiscanbefast2

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf calais v v8
Ask them in writing if they reload the W310 tune after they load the steering fix. Also ask what other tunes they could upload - or just pay a tuner and get a dyno tune done and get mnuch more than 310 out of it.
Yeah that is the plan, had the car around 2 years and looking to wake it up a bit with a cam and heads package from a local shop, just not a good time finacially for all this to go down, ill see what they say about reuploading and document what happens on here

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
I used a guy in Narellan to do my work. Great guy and good gains for the coin I paid, but I did a fair bit more than cam. I did headers, and full exhaust, cam, tune and OTR. Then added clutch, flywheel and slave cylinder to handle the extra power.

calaiscanbefast2

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf calais v v8
I used a guy in Narellan to do my work. Great guy and good gains for the coin I paid, but I did a fair bit more than cam. I did headers, and full exhaust, cam, tune and OTR. Then added clutch, flywheel and slave cylinder to handle the extra power.
Theres a shop in south wollongong that a few mates have had good feedback from (more drag based but knowledgeable on the ve-vf platform) hoping to get cam, heads and a little down the line a fuel system and heartbeat blower.

Bit of a tangent but what sort of power can be pushed through the factory gearboxes, obviously being a calais mines the 6l80e but what did old mate in narrellan recommend.

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm pushing only 407kw and 704Nm into the stock E3 manual box and diff and no issues so far, doubt I will. But would expect any more torque and both would need work as it's getting close to VF GTS figures with a blower.

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
Mine will occasionally say service steering lock but I dont need the recall?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
keen to know what the go is here having a tuned car makes me nervous some GM-H monkey will flash a stock tune back into it.

didn't realise the steering update was going to touch that.

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes, effectively the same as a W407, with a little more torque - but the 407Kw is an estimate at the flywheel, not at the rear wheels.