Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF storm Sedan Cigarette lighter not working

Pacy.Baldock

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF storm
So I was in the processes of installing a dashcam and I proceeded to install the accessories wire of the dashcam to the a purple wire under the glove box on the left hand side of the passenger side and for some reason my dashcam doesn't have power. It then caused me to try my dashcam in my cig lighter to see if the dashcam was faulty. It didn't work there I tried another car and the dashcam works. So I believe I blew a fuse on the accessories or the cig lighters. I checked fuse f36 and f37 in the rear fuse panel. I also checked f29 in the driver's side fuse panel too and they are all fine. I've ran out of ideas.

Kered

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VF2 SS wagon
My cigarette lighters are not working either. Only had car 4 months, not worked the whole time. Have checked all fuses and all are fine. Didn't want to pull dash apart. Anyone got an idea or had this problem.

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
My cigarette lighters are not working either. Only had car 4 months, not worked the whole time. Have checked all fuses and all are fine. Didn't want to pull dash apart. Anyone got an idea or had this problem.
Yeah don’t smoke:)

Pacy.Baldock

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF storm
So it's that kind of forum is it
Quite unfortunate actually. I came here for help and to help others with this question. First time I've used this forums. Honestly not too good impressions

Davemac

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SSV Redline & 2009 SS Sportswagon
If the fuse is good then there is likely a wiring issue so pulling out the dash is very likley but if you have a multimeter I would start by checking if there is voltage at the fuse box and then work your way towards the cigarrete lighter sockets. Those leads with thing pin like ends are grear for this as you can pierce the insulation without compromising it.

PS ignore the knobheads. I've generally found this forum helpful but sadly the twats do spoil it sometimes.

Pacy.Baldock

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF storm
If the fuse is good then there is likely a wiring issue so pulling out the dash is very likley but if you have a multimeter I would start by checking if there is voltage at the fuse box and then work your way towards the cigarrete lighter sockets. Those leads with thing pin like ends are grear for this as you can pierce the insulation without compromising it.

PS ignore the knobheads. I've generally found this forum helpful but sadly the twats do spoil it sometimes.
I've also noticed the accessories on my doc connector doesn't work either. I've checked all the fuses I thought to check but hopefully I'm not missing anything. Also checked the "RAP" relay (r6 in the boost) and I do not have a relay there... could that be the problem?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Quite unfortunate actually. I came here for help and to help others with this question. First time I've used this forums. Honestly not too good impressions
Welcome to JC’s, but chill, humor is just part of any forum…

And as it’s a forum, good answers aren't instant like on social media… (but are there any good answers on social media :rolleyes: ) … good answers can take time to pop up but you can and do get quality info if you show some patience.

Like anything, the it can be a bit of chaff/wheat so learn to sort and filter would be my advice ;)

The other thing is, your not known so we have no idea what your skill level are. So when you say you’ve tested the fuse, we don’t know what that means and how accurate the tests are. Have you tested by removing the fuse and using a multimeter to buz out continuity (imo best way but slow). Have you used a multimeter and tested for 12v on the top and bottom contact of the fuse blade (good way and quick) or have you tested for 12 volts only on one side of the fuse blade say top… If the later, the fuse may be blown and you’ve just tested the hot pin has power but not tested the voltage is getting to the fused circuit side. Hopefully you haven’t used the later method :p

In any case, to test vehicle circuits in modern cars really requires a circuit diagram as they are complex beasts… So best to get a copy of the VF workshop manual PDF and learn how to navigate it using the bookmark pane on most pdf viewers.

The VF workshop manual can downloaded from a link on this post #9 (yes it’s a clicky link to the post where there is a colicky link to the download itself).

Download it and start looking through the chapters to learn how the doc is structured (sadly the internal links don’t work). It will take time but you’ll get there… The power distribution schematics starts on page 9341/11631 ;)

Oh, and also learn how to use search to find stuff on the forum… I prefer to Google the following

“site: forums.justcommodores.com.au searchphrase”

in this case searchphrase may be “vf cigarette lighter doesnt work” … obviously quotes aren’t included when chucking both into Google.. And I like Google cause it fixed my speeling and dyslexic errors ;)

Oh, chucking the search term in Google yields the following two top hits (which I haven’t looked at).

Kered

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VF2 SS wagon
Welcome to JC’s, but chill, humor is just part of any forum…

And as it’s a forum, good answers aren't instant like on social media… (but are there any good answers on social media :rolleyes: ) … good answers can take time to pop up but you can and do get quality info if you show some patience.

Like anything, the it can be a bit of chaff/wheat so learn to sort and filter would be my advice ;)

The other thing is, your not known so we have no idea what your skill level are. So when you say you’ve tested the fuse, we don’t know what that means and how accurate the tests are. Have you tested by removing the fuse and using a multimeter to buz out continuity (imo best way but slow). Have you used a multimeter and tested for 12v on the top and bottom contact of the fuse blade (good way and quick) or have you tested for 12 volts only on one side of the fuse blade say top… If the later, the fuse may be blown and you’ve just tested the hot pin has power but not tested the voltage is getting to the fused circuit side. Hopefully you haven’t used the later method :p

In any case, to test vehicle circuits in modern cars really requires a circuit diagram as they are complex beasts… So best to get a copy of the VF workshop manual PDF and learn how to navigate it using the bookmark pane on most pdf viewers.

The VF workshop manual can downloaded from a link on this post #9 (yes it’s a clicky link to the post where there is a colicky link to the download itself).

Download it and start looking through the chapters to learn how the doc is structured (sadly the internal links don’t work). It will take time but you’ll get there… The power distribution schematics starts on page 9341/11631 ;)

Oh, and also learn how to use search to find stuff on the forum… I prefer to Google the following

“site: forums.justcommodores.com.au searchphrase”

in this case searchphrase may be “vf cigarette lighter doesnt work” … obviously quotes aren’t included when chucking both into Google.. And I like Google cause it fixed my speeling and dyslexic errors ;)

Oh, chucking the search term in Google yields the following two top hits (which I haven’t looked at).

[/URL]

[/URL]
Thanks for that. Yes a multi meter was used as you described. I like humour like anyone else, I just didn't expect it

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
It might be an unnecessary comment, but are you aware that there are three fuse panels in the VF? One in the engine bay, one in the back/boot, and one hidden under the end panel on the right hand end of the dash.

Mind you, I haven’t bothered to look up which panel the ‘cigarette lighter’ fuse is on. :cool: