Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Sub wire up...

CyanPixie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SSV Redline - Slipstream Blue
Sorry to resurrect an old thread (plus it seems to have the sound guru's in this thread) - but doing some research so I can put a decent system into my VF2 Redline when it arrives and the subs are bugging me. I love doing my own install - something satisfying about doing my own install on the weekends, tuning it for my taste, knowing what is there and saying I did that instead of paying someone to do it for me. There is very little information that I can find in the service manual about the amp and the speaker wires running into it. (I can already imagine the factory amp pushes out 3/5th of bugger all.) Even searching through this whole forum I am battling to find any sound system information. If anyone could help it would be appreciated.

#1 - The high level inputs, do they have the accessories "noise" coming to it, or does that noise only run to the front speakers?
#2 - Are they full range levels that come from the inputs, or is the sound adjusted for the subs by the head unit?
#3 - Has anyone replaced the existing subs in the parcel shelf with some IB speakers, like the Kicker Comp's or the Pioneer Shallow Mounts and dynamating the parcel shelf and boot (which I will more than likely do anyway)?
#4 - Anyone gone bigger than the 8" in the parcel shelf?
#5 - Would it just be better to rip out the Bose Subs - leave the gaps open for the sound to come through and get a shallow mounted sub or 2 for the boot? (I don't want to eat too much boot space up - my Astra currently can only fit 3 bags of groceries in the hatch boot and can be inconvenient!)
#6 - is there another "audio" forum with more information about people installing new systems into the VF2 using the existing head unit. I am not sure I am ready to throw down the $3k for an Alpine replacement deck!

Thanks!

ShinWow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV 6.2L Manual
Has anyone got any pictures of the stock (non-bose) amplifier in the VF2? I'm curious if it has any gain controls or anything like that.

I have the "Bass" setting cranked on the headunit Tune settings, but the subs are barely moving.

Don't really wanna start pulling the car apart just to check for myself.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Has anyone got any pictures of the stock (non-bose) amplifier in the VF2? I'm curious if it has any gain controls or anything like that.

I have the "Bass" setting cranked on the headunit Tune settings, but the subs are barely moving.

Don't really wanna start pulling the car apart just to check for myself.
No Adjustments on the amp. I added a new amp and 12 inch boxed subwoofer. Kept the original amps and speakers too. Sounds much better.

ShinWow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV 6.2L Manual
Possible to unplug the the existing amp, and add an aftermarket one in its place for more power (and control)?

Any pics of the wiring going in/out of the amp?

Thanks for the info so far!

woooo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Multiple
Has anyone fitted a aftermarket sub in the boot to the factory amp in the VF2 SSV (non Bose)? I'm looking to do so.

woooo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Multiple
No Adjustments on the amp. I added a new amp and 12 inch boxed subwoofer. Kept the original amps and speakers too. Sounds much better.
how did you do this? I want to do similar, I want to add or replace the factory amp with an aftermarket and sub. Nothing fancy just extra bass and factory look.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
how did you do this? I want to do similar, I want to add or replace the factory amp with an aftermarket and sub. Nothing fancy just extra bass and factory look.
I located the the rear speaker input to the amp and ran to another amp which drives the single subwoofer. Battery power is in the boot. Plus the trigger is in the existing amp.

woooo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Multiple
I located the the rear speaker input to the amp and ran to another amp which drives the single subwoofer. Battery power is in the boot. Plus the trigger is in the existing amp.
Ok so you took the speaker wires from the rear speakers and connected those to the new amp? Does that mean your original amp does nothing now? And then connected the new amp to the sub? And powered the amp to the battery (as in boot already). Do you have any photos?