Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Superlift Shock Absorbers

tg68

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf calais v sedan
Superlift Shock Absorbers Recommended when towing greater than 1200kg in handbook for sedan.

Does anyone have these:
(A) how do they work - talks about adjusting pressure in handbook. Do you need to pump them up?
(B) does it raise the height of rear end of car?
(C) is suspension in rear stiffer, uncomfortable for back seat passenger when not towing.

I will be towing Jayco or jayco type camper trailer about 1600kg. Looking at getting camper underslung which is about 10cm higher than normal Jayco Touring version. May need extra height at towball and stiffer suspension.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Have a look within the performance section of the Holden VF, WN Accessory Instalation manual. This should give you an idea how they are installed. You should also be able to deduce how they work ;)

As to their performance when towing and when not towing, i'll leave that to others who actually use their towbars to answer.

CRAZYDOG

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM CAPRICE V8
HI you must always have air in system or they will get damaged . when u connect trailer ,pump up shockers till car and trailer are level .where did u buy from ,im having trouble finding them

Huw

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 2 SV6
Superlift Shock Absorbers Recommended when towing greater than 1200kg in handbook for sedan.

Does anyone have these:
(A) how do they work - talks about adjusting pressure in handbook. Do you need to pump them up?
(B) does it raise the height of rear end of car?
(C) is suspension in rear stiffer, uncomfortable for back seat passenger when not towing.

I will be towing Jayco or jayco type camper trailer about 1600kg. Looking at getting camper underslung which is about 10cm higher than normal Jayco Touring version. May need extra height at towball and stiffer suspension.
Hi, just wondering if you had the superlift fitted and do they work ok? any bad/good points? Thanks

Farmboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VF Evoke Utility
I encountered a similar issue recently, wanting to tow a tandem trailer I felt the standard suspension on my VF Evoke ute was potentially lower than required. I discussed the issue with a spring manufacturer who researched what shocks Holden used with their "country pack" springs. Apparently the part numbers of the "country pack" shocks was in fact the same as the standard suspension. My new springs gave my ute an additional clearence front and rear of about 30mm, not that high to look ridiculous.

Since installing the new suspension six months ago, I've experienced no issues towing a car on my tandem trailer. However, before towing anything I looked at my ute and trailer as a single unit; when towing the primary objective is safe operation of the vehicle. For that you need to be able to steer and brake without endangering yourself or other road users.

To ensure I had trailer weight distributed more evenly across my steer and rear tyres I installed a weight compensating hitch, to cater for the additional weight I also installed the "country pack" suspension, to ensure I could safely stop when fully loaded, I installed a Redarc "Pro Elite" trailer brake controller. As a unit it rides well and stops in a straight line even when loaded.

Before going ahead with the suspension upgrade we discussed rear suspension airbag, but decided the weight compensating hitch provided more advantages than airbags for various reasons.

Last edited:

White Swan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS
I encountered a similar issue recently, wanting to tow a tandem trailer I felt the standard suspension on my VF Evoke ute was potentially lower than required. I discussed the issue with a spring manufacturer who researched what shocks Holden used with their "country pack" springs. Apparently the part numbers of the "country pack" shocks was in fact the same as the standard suspension. My new springs gave my ute an additional clearence front and rear of about 30mm, not that high to look ridiculous.

Since installing the new suspension six months ago, I've experienced no issues towing a car on my tandem trailer. However, before towing anything I looked at my ute and trailer as a single unit; when towing the primary objective is safe operation of the vehicle. For that you need to be able to steer and brake without endangering yourself or other road users.

To ensure I had trailer weight distributed more evenly across my steer and rear tyres I installed a weight compensating hitch, to cater for the additional weight I also installed the "country pack" suspension, to ensure I could safely stop when fully loaded, I installed a Redarc "Pro Elite" trailer brake controller. As a unit it rides well and stops in a straight line even when loaded.

Before going ahead with the suspension upgrade we discussed rear suspension airbag, but decided the weight compensating hitch provided more advantages than airbags for various reasons.

Is there any chance you could post a photo of your Ute so we can see how it sits unhitched.