Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF suspension/coils question

rognvald261

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS A6
@Skylarking i did look into that inflatable rear setup, mentioned in the owners manual, OEM went to the wall about five years ago.
Technical complications of plumbing and maintaining a system of that sort kind of goes against the ethos of driving a big reliable (simple) RWD wagon.
Plenty of time to think of things to spend money on driving hundreds of thousands of km outback / interstate. My mind tends towards effortless torque, BSFC or ITE rather than degreeing the car’s pitch with a system of compressed air balloons :D

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
yeah just googling there are quite a few systems, but its not widespead enough to know the good ones from the bad and yes by burst I meant puncture and read of it happening. With the ute it is easy to find a space for the plumbing control system and compressors. The person I bought my maloo exhaust off looked into it as well but more so he could dump it and raise for driveways and such.

some youtube videos show its good for track as well due to the quick adjustment of an air suspension system rather than having to have different sets of coilovers or adjust them.

I will look into it more.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@rognvald261, I didn’t know the OEM supplier went bust. Pity :oops:

The system as used in the commodore is simple and reliable. An integrated air bladder on rear shocks with polly tubing to a common schroder valve. What’s to go wrong?

On such a simple system, air leaks are about the only issue and the reality is that this is not a bigger problem than tyres leaking and how often do they do that? Also an easy fix at a petrol station ;)

A fully integrated driver selectable auto level, etc is another issue which does add complexity and maintenance. And IMO the prodrive solution was rather interesting, especially with the adjustable air spring rates. Almost certainly you’d get more bang for buck spending the dollars that such a system would cost on more conventional suspension or power upgrades but each to their own.

Another benefit of self leveling rear suspension is that it would be easier to comply HID globe inserts... o_O just add washers ;)

alby1976

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Grange Gen3, VF Calais V Wagon, VY Calais L67
Thanks for the info.
Have sourced some 2nd hand FE2 springs off a VF2 SSV Sportwagon, told the mrs that will need to change shocks soon, as car has done 106K.
Was looking into some sort of airbag setup, as my WH Grange has the autolevelling suspension, maybe even a set of the ol pump ups will do.

Just happened to come across the Holden VF,WN Accessories installation manual, which has 'super lift shock absorber system'
Basically the old pump ups, but shows how to install and where to route the airline.

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the info....
Just happened to come across the Holden VF,WN Accessories installation manual, which has 'super lift shock absorber system’....
Years back, bilstein had an cpression and rebound adjustable shock and they could build it with air bladder. It was cool but expensive.

Yeah, the accessories install manual has some good info in it which is why I put a link to where you can get that manual in post #8 :p

Enjoy giving your car an improved ride after 106k kms of life, it should feel renewed :cool:

alby1976

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Grange Gen3, VF Calais V Wagon, VY Calais L67
Yeah, told the mrs that they are something that wear, even though you don't notice it, same as Oxygen sensors, only really any good for appro 100K

Yes you did, im on night shift, so bed time, seems I overlooked the link you provided.
It seems a bit harder than it should be to find the shocks, Im even looking for Monroe gas risers and similar, but no luck.
The VE and VF use the same shocks right?
As im searching for both, but still no luck.

Wish I came across this before ordering the springs, as some pump ups might be all it needs.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Never owned a VE so i have no idea if shocks are the same between VE and VF.

Yeah, had a quick google and after market monroe/pedders/other air shocks are not as available as they were year ago. Being that Holden sold these air shocks for a while, shouldn't they be able to provide replacements of them through spare parts? or have thay left thoes customers high and dry?

Bilstein still have a range of air suspension shocks but they are more for mercs, and other posh SUV's/sedans. Valve damping may not suit the c'doore if the shocks could even fit mechanically. However, in the past, bilstein would do custome builds for people, costly but they'd do it.

Could be worth a call to Holden spare parts and Bilstein retailer/distributor.

rognvald261

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS A6
VE/VF same Shocks?
Of course different front strut mounts for the VF knuckle size, and rear is different within chassis type sedan / wagon / ute, and then there is sports classification FE1.5 / FE2 / FE3.
@alby1976 I did answer that in detail for you, see above.

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
Is FEx from previous models the same as the newer models or is this an inhouse code for spring rate?

rognvald261

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS A6
@abuch47
This is just SS info, Caprice and V6 is different

All coils OEM Monroe
FE2 lowered coil sedan rear 7kg/mm
FE2 lowered coil wagon is HD spring and VE series II onwards had thinner rear sway*
FE2 lowered coil utility rear - not sure
FE2 lowered coil ALL front 2.9kg/mm
FE3 lowered coil is same part as FE2, but offset by different (“softer”) shock valving and larger rear antisway bar per HSV (and G8 GXP).

*Sway front and rear may differ with model year and suspension package

All struts OEM Monroe
VF has larger front knuckle and bolt so the “boot” the front struts sit in is different.
FE3 struts have “Gas Charged” stamped on the body