Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SV6 2013 SEDAN COMMODORE POOR LIGHTS

wobbles123

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SV6 Auto Ute, 2013 VF SV6 Auto Sedan.
I was travelling last night on a dirt road and the lighting on both high and low beam leave something to be desired.
Can anyone suggest a bulb replacement....not fancy LED bulbs that will interfere with the electronics....but ordinary plug in bulbs....maybe there is a solution these days with LED's that do not interfere with the electronics....the VY commodore had high and low beam together with a separate high beam high beam light ....and were simply brilliant....do not want to install a separate bar light....any suggestions ??????

saroadie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 Storm
I was travelling last night on a dirt road and the lighting on both high and low beam leave something to be desired.
Can anyone suggest a bulb replacement....not fancy LED bulbs that will interfere with the electronics....but ordinary plug in bulbs....maybe there is a solution these days with LED's that do not interfere with the electronics....the VY commodore had high and low beam together with a separate high beam high beam light ....and were simply brilliant....do not want to install a separate bar light....any suggestions ??????
Maybe it's the aiming of the lights? I drive 50% of the time in the dark and have always thought my lights were excellent.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
The lights on my MY14 Redline are very good too.
Assuming there were no other issues, like aim, as saroadie said, a faulty alternator, battery, dirty headlight lenses or covers etc. I'd try good quality bulbs (Phillips?) at the same wattage as stock. Or maybe up the high beam wattage to the next available wattage.

Kingcarl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sv6 series II MY 12.5
I agree, the lights are poor!
The lights in my VU ute were much better.
Phillips globes are an easy upgade though.

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
I did the phillips crystal 4300 on my low beams and it made a world of difference.
The lows are a real b!tch to get to through the wheel well so I took off the front bar to do it instead.
Parkers and high beams are much easier but if you are going to do the lows.I recommend do it all in one shot.
From memory the phillips crystals were about $120 from autobarn.

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
I bought HIDs for both Low and High beam from a guy from eBay thats been around for ages. The ballasts are built into the dust cover. $149 for the lows and $169 for the highs I think they were. His user name is soarer95 or 95soarer. 6000k and they are sensational.

At a minimum, upgrade the high beams, they take a few seconds to warm up but give much better light coverage than standardbulbs

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
yeah they are pretty terrible, was driving the other night and wife told me to put the high beams on.. and i said they were. :(

i have low hids, and high leds on order, should be in this week.
i had low leds in my ve and they were great, but didn't like having to mod the dust cap.

RockDAhouse

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
I bought HIDs for both Low and High beam from a guy from eBay thats been around for ages. The ballasts are built into the dust cover. $149 for the lows and $169 for the highs I think they were. His user name is soarer95 or 95soarer. 6000k and they are sensational.

At a minimum, upgrade the high beams, they take a few seconds to warm up but give much better light coverage than standardbulbs

I bought low beam from this seller as well, been in the car for 2 years now and so far so good. Changing the bulb though is a PAIN !!!

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
I bought low beam from this seller as well, been in the car for 2 years now and so far so good. Changing the bulb though is a PAIN !!!
The good thing is that HIDs generally have a long life, so once you install them, hopefully you don't have to change them, unlike halogens. I run with my headlights on anytime I am driving more than 5 mins, so my daily 1hour 15 min commute to work and then home again I have the HIDs on at all times. So far 50,000kms with no problems. My HSV has nearly 90,000km on the clock and it still have the same HIDs from the same seller in it.