Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF sv6 2016 Transmission Oil leakage

Harry24

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sv6
Hello. I just wanted to know about my Sv6 AS I used to drive it giving it a little throttle is starting giving strange noises and when I checked there was oil leakage beneath it. When I went to mechanic he told me that it's torque converter seal which needed to be changed. But after changing the seal still the oil is leaking. I have attached the image with this post for reference. As I am confused now it is the torque converter seal leakage or something else. If someone has faced similar issue please suggest me what could be done in order to fix this issue.

Attachments

• 74cf8df7-9853-423a-a514-638e157c6749.jpg
    74cf8df7-9853-423a-a514-638e157c6749.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 613

zappaboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 Sportswagon, Motorsport Auto VE Ute
I had this issue and it was found to be torque converter weld had failed and this is causing the oil leak. The only solution is to replace the torque convertor and if your issue is the same that the TC has failed, I was advised that this is a known issue with the VF and the repairer had advised that they replaced the TC on several other VF cars. They showed me the crack in the weld in the TC and basically indicated that there was a manufacturing or design flaw or both. Note I noticed mine initially as I could smell oil burning when the car was stopped. I had the car checked and was advised that there was oil leaking on the bell housing on the transmission. Also I did notice that there was unusual noises from the car especially upon startup but it drove normally and the transmission operated smoothly. I did notice oil at the bottom of the transmission and a small amount of oil on the floor of the garage. Hope this helps. Also when I put my car in for repair, they told me it may be just a seal but also could be the TC which they may have known from their previous experience in these VF auto leaks. I had had got a second opinion before I put the car in for repair and this did confirm that the oil leak was from the auto and that it was probably just a seal but this was from a normal mechanic who advised that he could not do this repair ie outside his expertise as the transmission would need to come out. He was a small shop and known locally as being very honest and straight forward. Hope this helps

kirkc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SV6
I had this issue and it was found to be torque converter weld had failed and this is causing the oil leak. The only solution is to replace the torque convertor and if your issue is the same that the TC has failed, I was advised that this is a known issue with the VF and the repairer had advised that they replaced the TC on several other VF cars. They showed me the crack in the weld in the TC and basically indicated that there was a manufacturing or design flaw or both. Note I noticed mine initially as I could smell oil burning when the car was stopped. I had the car checked and was advised that there was oil leaking on the bell housing on the transmission. Also I did notice that there was unusual noises from the car especially upon startup but it drove normally and the transmission operated smoothly. I did notice oil at the bottom of the transmission and a small amount of oil on the floor of the garage. Hope this helps. Also when I put my car in for repair, they told me it may be just a seal but also could be the TC which they may have known from their previous experience in these VF auto leaks. I had had got a second opinion before I put the car in for repair and this did confirm that the oil leak was from the auto and that it was probably just a seal but this was from a normal mechanic who advised that he could not do this repair ie outside his expertise as the transmission would need to come out. He was a small shop and known locally as being very honest and straight forward. Hope this helps

Helpful for me thank you. Would you mind telling me how much it cost please? Just found my MY16 VF SV6 is leaking trans fluid into bell housing aaarrgghhhh. Does anyone know whether or not it is a straight forward job to replace the torque convertor and/or seal? I've replaced a few clutches and gearboxes in older Holdens but never an auto.

Terry57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Wagon
Something to add. Firstly i was not aware of the converter issue and had not read any posts concerning it.

Just purchased a VF Evoke Wagon 2015 series two. 260000 Klm on the clock, 9400 buks. Had it 5 days now and other morn noticed a very nice bit of oil in the driveway. Off to my mechanic and it don't take long to diagnose a cracked converter. He will send it off for a rebuild and do a complete auto service whilst at it. Around 1500 to do the converter.

The rest of the car is mint. I'm not concerned about it because now i've got a fully reconed converter and Auto service. No worries. So now the car cost me 10900.

All good. So what did you guys pay ?

Attachments

• IMG-b67463bf8ee2573566819afe63b88f5c-V.jpg
    IMG-b67463bf8ee2573566819afe63b88f5c-V.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 83

Mickcc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais 2016 Series 2
Something to add. Firstly i was not aware of the converter issue and had not read any posts concerning it.

Just purchased a VF Evoke Wagon 2015 series two. 260000 Klm on the clock, 9400 buks. Had it 5 days now and other morn noticed a very nice bit of oil in the driveway. Off to my mechanic and it don't take long to diagnose a cracked converter. He will send it off for a rebuild and do a complete auto service whilst at it. Around 1500 to do the converter.

The rest of the car is mint. I'm not concerned about it because now i've got a fully reconed converter and Auto service. No worries. So now the car cost me 10900.

All good. So what did you guys pay ?
Just trying to work out 10900
or do you mean 1900
cheers

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Just trying to work out 10900
or do you mean 1900
cheers
He's adding the cost of dealing with the trans to the $9400 he bought the car for.

Reactions: Lex

Mickcc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais 2016 Series 2
Like I nearly Sh*t my self on that 10900 wasn`t looking to a transmission service
or repairers mine coming up to 110k will have to do one one day on I have bought
one with a Tow Bar but do have the camera ready to look into the sump on the every soon service
so 1500 for the repairs much more affordable

Terry57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Wagon
Oh yer, bought a brand new Holden VF Tow bar from Marketplace for 250 ,top deal except it's for a sedan. I thought it would fit my wagon ??? What a Muppet. Cheers

Terry57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Wagon
Mechanic told me they can crack at 100000 klm. He had 4 sitting in his shop.