Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Sv6 engine noise

CommodoreVF2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2 SV6 3.6L
Hey guys, I am new to this forum so apologies if I have posted in the wrong section.

My VF 2 sv6 sounds a little strange, I have been filling up with 98 and I have noticed it sounds a little bit 'belty' and almost like a slight 'cricket' noise. I took it to Holden and they said it's nothing unusual however a lot of people have told me that it doesn't sound that great.

Anyone ever experinced anything like this? Let me know.

JoshlikesCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z
it my experience a "cricket" sound has always been an idle pulley/ tensioner, or water pump. Strange that a newish engine is making that noise though. perhaps someone else knows

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
It seems to be a common thread among those with the VF Commodore , experiencing problems with engine noise and so on , take it elsewhere for a second opinion.

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
Hey guys, I am new to this forum so apologies if I have posted in the wrong section.

My VF 2 sv6 sounds a little strange, I have been filling up with 98 and I have noticed it sounds a little bit 'belty' and almost like a slight 'cricket' noise. I took it to Holden and they said it's nothing unusual however a lot of people have told me that it doesn't sound that great.

Anyone ever experienced anything like this? Let me know.

The V6 engine in the VF should not be making unusual noises.
Take it to a competent independent mechanic or to another Holden service dealer and get another opinion.

If it is an external noise it could be coming from the serpentine belt. In a newish engine it is most unlikely that there will be a bearing failure in an alternator pulley, aircon pulley, a tensioner pulley etc. There should be no serpentine belt noise from your engine either. A misaligned serpentine belt can be noisy though. If it is a belt noise that you can hear (and they can make some very strange noises) it will not be hard to determine. The serpentine belt should then be removed and checked. If it is belt noise then it's Holden's responsibility to fix it for you under new car warranty where applicable.. There should be no belt misalignment and there should be no failure of the serpentine belt material on such a newish engine. There should be no unusual belt wear either. If the claim by the mechanics is that the noise is normal or not unusual then ask them to start up 2 other VF V6s at random for you and demonstrate the same noise in those engines.

It sounds like you are being given the run around because they don't want to spend any time diagnosing the issue because they don't make much profit (if any) out of doing warranty work.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Slight 'cricket noise'is normal
That is your injectors and mechanical high pressure fuel pump...
My sv6 was the same

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
As said the cricket noise is normal with the SIDI

silverlion

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF II SV6 Ute
Try filling up a tank with 91 RON and see what happens. I recall a VE V6 owner saying that 98 RON could be too rich for some of the engines. I am investigating this myself...

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Unlikely, the engine computer compensates for different RONS of fuel so should have no issue with 98.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Try filling up a tank with 91 RON and see what happens. I recall a VE V6 owner saying that 98 RON could be too rich for some of the engines. I am investigating this myself...
This 'noise' is normal. No need to investigate...