Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF sv6 exhaust recommendations

Alex Hemp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII sv6
Hi, I have just purchased a 2016 Vf sv6 and I am looking to put a new exhaust kit on it, would like some recommendations of good kits/bands to buy. Obviously i want the car to sound louder but don't want any droning cabin noise. Any recommendations would be great.

Slick_Vp_23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY10 SSV M6
Hi, I have just purchased a 2016 Vf sv6 and I am looking to put a new exhaust kit on it, would like some recommendations of good kits/bands to buy. Obviously i want the car to sound louder but don't want any droning cabin noise. Any recommendations would be great.
To be honest, I don’t think it’s worth putting a full aftermarket system on a VE/VF SV6, they come stock with a good system already, flow wise. Unless you can pick up a twin 2.5” cheaply but no guarantee there’ll be no drone. Cheapest option for some noise and no drone is to swap the stock rear mufflers with “J-pipes”. Hope that helps.

rtmpgt

Reaction score
Website
www.pgt.design
Members Ride
2010 VE1.5 SV6 Ute
I can hand-on-heart recommend you find some E1 HSV Bimodals. I have had them on two V6s now and they're probably the only exhaust out there that's A: affordable, B: Doesn't drone like Scotty from Marketing about the cricket, C: sounds good on a V6, and D: is fully noise legal.

Here's what you need to do.
1: buy the E1 Bimodals to suit your car. Maloos use a longer tip, so if you've got a ute or a caprice, you'll need the longer tips.
2: remove the centre mufflers and replace them with a H pipe. Do not, for the love of god remove the resonators. These things stop the "trumpety" sound that's common to V6 exhaust swaps.
3: If you want the bimodal action to... idk, work, wait a while. I'm working on a throttle body spacer which'll give you 3x 1/8 NPT ports to allow you to connect the Bimodals to your engine, as well as a Vacuum gauge... You know, for the extra rice points. I can update the thread on how that's going as you could also theoretically use it for inline cutouts if you know your way around a welder.

The good thing about this setup is that your V6 won't sound like you're taking an endless **** at engadine maccas. You'll have a nice, smooth sounding six, that's not too far off sounding like a well sorted 350Z. Alternatively, if you like your cars with a side of rice you could always just remove the mufflers and replace them with a straight pipe for maximum lawl factor. Do remember that technically your exhausts can't be louder than 85dB according to the ADR tests. Otherwise, be prepared to be pulled over and get buttraunched by your local constabulary.

Alex Hemp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII sv6
Thanks heaps, can you link some websites as to wear I can purchase these?

Alex Hemp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII sv6
I can hand-on-heart recommend you find some E1 HSV Bimodals. I have had them on two V6s now and they're probably the only exhaust out there that's A: affordable, B: Doesn't drone like Scotty from Marketing about the cricket, C: sounds good on a V6, and D: is fully noise legal.

Here's what you need to do.
1: buy the E1 Bimodals to suit your car. Maloos use a longer tip, so if you've got a ute or a caprice, you'll need the longer tips.
2: remove the centre mufflers and replace them with a H pipe. Do not, for the love of god remove the resonators. These things stop the "trumpety" sound that's common to V6 exhaust swaps.
3: If you want the bimodal action to... idk, work, wait a while. I'm working on a throttle body spacer which'll give you 3x 1/8 NPT ports to allow you to connect the Bimodals to your engine, as well as a Vacuum gauge... You know, for the extra rice points. I can update the thread on how that's going as you could also theoretically use it for inline cutouts if you know your way around a welder.

The good thing about this setup is that your V6 won't sound like you're taking an endless **** at engadine maccas. You'll have a nice, smooth sounding six, that's not too far off sounding like a well sorted 350Z. Alternatively, if you like your cars with a side of rice you could always just remove the mufflers and replace them with a straight pipe for maximum lawl factor. Do remember that technically your exhausts can't be louder than 85dB according to the ADR tests. Otherwise, be prepared to be pulled over and get buttraunched by your local constabulary.

rtmpgt

Reaction score
Website
www.pgt.design
Members Ride
2010 VE1.5 SV6 Ute

hiya Alex,

I'm working on the Intake manifold spacer as we speak, Just waiting for my prototype to come back from the machinist's so I can do testing. It'll have 3x 1/8" NPT ports, and you'd connect two of the three available ports to the exhausts, leaving one spare to do whatever you want. Nitrous? Vacuum gauge? Meth Injection? go for it!

As for the exhausts? Planet Parts has the Bimodal Mufflers available. You can also grab them from a Wreckers!
https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=ve+bimodal&_sacat=33628 - Couple of listings for sedans/wagons
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2012-E3...186851?hash=item593d754ca3:g:FdcAAOSwA5Rd2icD - Grange listing, needs different tips unless you get an E3 Grange bumper, will also work for Utes (maybe weld on some 3" tips?)
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2012-E3...383400?hash=item46a810ca68:g:uWgAAOSwfZxeM2T3 - Maloo mufflers!

FYI, There's also a bunch of aftermarket Vacuum actuated mufflers out there, but you'll need to do a lot more fab work to get these to fit the car. Electric bimodals will be a pain in the backside to get working properly unless you know your way around an Arduino.

I'd also keep an eye out on Gumtree for these. I got both sets (the set that was on my former wagon, RIP, and my Ute) from sellers there.

As for your centre mufflers, delete the mufflers, replace with a 2.5" cross or H pipe. Leave the goddamn resonators in place.

Something akin to this should work:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Jetex-U...020363&hash=item540f1f0a15:g:gU4AAOSwavRdlGnx

Last edited: