Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SV6 fuel consumption... higher than what I was expecting

VE_CalaisV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Sportswagon
I bought a second hand 2013 VF SV6 wagon in June this year. I love the car and think it's a great daily driver with enough power for some fun but also sensible transport for my family of 4.
I've come from a 2012 Ford Territory that averaged 11.5-12.5 litres/100km with 90% urban driving, and 10% freeway (avg speed is 26-30kmh). The Territory was a 2.2 tonne car with a 4.0L straight 6. The SV6 wagon is a 1.9tonne car with a 3.6L V6. Both have similar power outputs but I would've expected the SV6 to have better fuel consumption than the large Territory. Well after driving the SV6 for 2 months I am averaging 13.5 L/100kms for the same commute. I'll admit that initially, I did put my foot down a lot more at the beginning since I had intake and tune done (the fuel usage is exactly the same since tune), but now I am driving the same style as I drove with my Territory and I am surprised it uses so much!
Last night I thought I would go on a freeway drive to see how it goes there and the fuel consumption was incredible. Did 50kms at 100kmh and averaged 6.7L/100km!!! But traffic and suburban stop start driving it is truly horrible. Has anyone else had the same results or perhaps it's my driving style.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
13.5L suburban with your average speed is spot on for sv6. Mine was the same...always just under 14L at 30kmh average speed.

Clay1391

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ssv redline
V8s aren't that good on fuel either. Go figure. Either way if you want eco should of went lancer or a small suv

VE_CalaisV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Sportswagon
V8s aren't that good on fuel either. Go figure. Either way if you want eco should of went lancer or a small suv
Where did I say I wanted eco? Your response isn't helpful. If you read my post I stated I was surprised by the fuel consumption as it is worse than my previous car which was a 2.2 tonne Territory. I also mentioned that I bought the SV6 as a family hauler and never mentioned I was after an eco car. I've had many V8's as well and their fuel figures were on par or slightly better than my SV6 so I'm just surprised and was asking others if they had similar experience with the VF SV6 or perhaps it shows there may be an issue with mine that's all.

VE_CalaisV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Sportswagon
13.5L suburban with your average speed is spot on for sv6. Mine was the same...always just under 14L at 30kmh average speed.
Ok thanks. The traffic in my surburb is getting worse and worse which is why the average speed is so low. My daily drop off to my son's daycare is a 10km round trip but takes 35 mins at 8am.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Ok thanks. The traffic in my surburb is getting worse and worse which is why the average speed is so low. My daily drop off to my son's daycare is a 10km round trip but takes 35 mins at 8am.
Yeah..
I used to drive to work...15k to get there and used to take 45-50min on average

iamandrew

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Wagon
Hey there, ive done a bit of testing with my VF 2015 SV6 wagon.
When fuel dropped in price, i thought id do some tests and find out whether my car does "go further" with 98, vs 95 and even 94 E10 fuels.
im pretty much getting around 600KM per tank, average fuel consumption is almost stuck at 10L per 100km
my best fuel economy is on the free way and down to 7 at best.
I found No difference in KLMS using E10 or 98....

treesnake

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Sv6 SII Sedan
Are you sure your territory was 2.2 t? I dont think there is much difference in weight between the territory and the sv6 wagon. Perhaps 100kg tops

Id consider
1) Ask the place where the tune was done if there is a possibility it is tuned on rich side in high rpm ranges
2) Apparently the car learns your driving pattern, maybe a battery reset could help and drive gentle for a while
3) Remove the spare wheel from the car :)

im at about 14-15L /100 but that is constant start stop heavy traffic

zappaboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 Sportswagon, Motorsport Auto VE Ute
Have done 98500kms on a V6 Calais V wagon. It weighs 1850kg. Have averaged around the following kms per tank depending on the fuel type

E85 - 550kms
E10 - 700kms
91 - 700 - 750kms
95 never used
98 no difference in distance to 91

Have noticed a difference in improved power with E85 and 98 though.

Most driving has been 70% freeway and 30 suburban

Have found 6.5-7.5 on the freeway and 12-13 in suburban driving.

Note much of the driving does involve additional weight as we do carry things in the back being a wagon. Virtually all driving has at least two people in the vehicle.

cashie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V
The fuel economy was the biggest surprise with my VF SV6 ute, I averaged around 10.5l/100kms for the time I owned it. Kicked myself for not going the SS as my VE V8s achieved similar numbers. I also found the SV6 engine to lack a bit of character too and found it a bit coarse.
Now I've got the VF SSV, I'm averaging 10.4l/100kms on the exact same drive cycle.
Granted the SV6 is cheaper to purchase, but don't buy one for significant fuel savings over a V8. (I'd say the LS3 would use more than my L77 AFM however).