Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SV6 purchasing questions?

hydrizo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
Hi all,

awesome page

so iam looking to buy an SV6 VF as my new daily as the 4x4 is consuming 81L of 91RON for 400km lol and have a few questions regarding the VF

what year model did push to start .. start to appear

what models have the heads up speedo display

whats the diff ratios in the v6 auto and manual .. and the v8 ratios in the VF series do they come with LSD

what models have steering assisted park assist lol

stock power at wheels

is it worth going the OTR and TUNE

i have a 3.7 LSD out of a VE SS here is it worth checking out and swapping

is the sound system ok

can they brake job lol?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Hey @hydrizo, welcome!

Push-to-start started on the VFII.
HUD was introduced in VFII Black Edition, and became standard for 2017, but 2017 didn't come in manual.
Unsure about diff gears, but don't forget to also check whether auto & manual have different ratios. I know the SSV Redline diff is LSD, unsure about SS or SS-V or Calais-V ... also unsure about your 3.7 LSD sorry.
All VF's & VFII's have the steering park assist, even Evoke.
Stock power at wheels was never published, you'll get a lot of different numbers because wheel dyno's are notoriously inaccurate & are tuned to read high to make the car owners feel better. But most likely it's around the 160kW-170kW mark.
The sound system is very average IMHO.

Unsure what you mean by "can they brake job"?

vywgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1967 Holden HR Premier Wagon / 2015 VFII SV6 Sedan
Auto ratio is generally 3.27 non lsd. As said black edition is when it cam in so part way into 2016 (but can be added if it doesn't have it) stock power is 210KW at the flywheel. Park assists is standard. Standard brakes hold up well but either upgrade to better rotors or even size so change to the standard V8 or go bigger to the Police spec or brembo if you want to stop sooner.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@ 20l/100km you’re 4x4 seems a little thirsty. What is it, petrol or diesel,are you towing a trailer or always in driving through city traffic?

If your aim is to reduce running costs, consider other strategies as selling/trading your current vehicle and buying another may not yield the best outcome when unemotional $ are considered.

If you just want a different car cause you want a change, or don’t need something so big, don’t wrap it up in fuel consumption/running costs rationalise as such just muddies the waters.

Possibly some could post about their real world SV6 fuel consumption if your rational is improved fuel economy. Then you can calculate cost of vehicle swap against fuel savings and work out a payback period ;) Such may be eye opening and allow you to consider other strategies as a result... like getting an lpg conversion :rolleyes:

After all, best way to reduce running costs is to hold on to a vehicle as long as possible because the biggest portion of ones running cost is almost always depreciation:eek:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
@ 20l/100km you’re 4x4 seems a little thirsty. What is it, petrol or diesel,are you towing a trailer or always in driving through city traffic?
No, that is normal for a petrol 4x4.
Sydney to Wollongong (mostly freeway) in no traffic for mid 90's 6cyl manual Landcruiser was about 17-18 litres per hundred, same age 4.6HSE Rangie (auto) was about 20.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
@ 20l/100km you’re 4x4 seems a little thirsty. What is it, petrol or diesel

91 RON is regular unleaded

it depends on the year of the 4x4, older ones guzzled the fuel.
i had a 2012 150 series prado v6 petrol that used a good 12 to 14 liters per 100.
my 2016 colorado 7 diesel averages about 8 to 10.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 RON is regular unleaded..
Doh, missed that in the first post :(
Shouldn't be on a forum when I’ve got a thumping headache :rolleyes:
No, that is normal for a petrol 4x4.
Sydney to Wollongong (mostly freeway) in no traffic for mid 90's 6cyl manual Landcruiser was about 17-18 litres per hundred, same age 4.6HSE Rangie (auto) was about 20.
My late 80’s landcruiser turbo diesel would get about 11 ltrs / 100 kms which was marginally worse than small turbo 4 cylinder runabouts of the era. That’s my only experience with 4x4’s...

Regardless, assuming 400kms per week @ $1.50/litre and saving 8 ltrs per 100 kms via another car will save 8x4x1.50x52 = $2496 per year... Factor that saving into the changeover price will define a payback period. If the changeover costs $10k, then you wont start saving anything until after 4 years have passed. If the changeover is cost neutral, then savings start from day dot (assuming you haven’t bought someone else’s problem used vehicle)... The above calculation is also assuming a replacement SV6 can actually achieve 12l/100kms (which I don’t really know if it is better or worse)...

Emotions of buying another car can overtake a cold analytical view of the worth of doing such, which was the point I was wanting to make.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
My late 80’s landcruiser turbo diesel would get about 11 ltrs / 100 kms which was marginally worse than small turbo 4 cylinder runabouts of the era. That’s my only experience with 4x4’s...
Yeah that's why people put-up with the inconveniences of diesel for trucks, it reduces fuel consumption markedly the bigger the truck.
Small cars diesel doesn't make much sense in Australia IMHO, even if you're doing very much above average at 30k km per year, that's only gonna save you 600L (assume a 2L/100km reduction which is probably about right for Cruze/Golf/Corolla sized cars) which at maybe $1k/yr will take a looong time to claw-back the initial purchase price difference & the extra cost of servicing.

Emotions of buying another car can overtake a cold analytical view of the worth of doing such, which was the point I was wanting to make.
Like the feel-goods you get from the fact that driving an SV6 after driving a 4x4 will be like you suddenly stopped continuously stabbing yourself in the privates with a rusty protractor?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah that's why people put-up with the inconveniences of diesel for trucks, it reduces fuel consumption markedly the bigger the truck.
Small cars diesel doesn't make much sense in Australia IMHO, even if you're doing very much above average at 30k km per year, that's only gonna save you 600L (assume a 2L/100km reduction which is probably about right for Cruze/Golf/Corolla sized cars) which at maybe $1k/yr will take a looong time to claw-back the initial purchase price difference & the extra cost of servicing.

Like the feel-goods you get from the fact that driving an SV6 after driving a 4x4 will be like you suddenly stopped continuously stabbing yourself in the privates with a rusty protracto?
Never found my 4x4 inconvenient as it had 120 ltr tank so hardly saw a petrol station :cool: but yes, there is a cost impost in buying a diesel which must be factired into the equation :)

4x4 drivers can be rather arrogant shits on our roads, so i see them as doing harmful to others, not so much themselves. SV6 drvers on teh other hand occassionally have a ;itt;e fun but are more relaxed and less arrogant on teh black stuff ;)

Henry19720

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 MY15 Man Sedan, MY17 SSVR Man Sedan
Manual SV6 is a LSD. I get high 8’ to low 9 l/100km. Pretty 90% highway driving though.