Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SV6 rough idle. De-stressing exhaust ???

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Checked mate all clear.
I'm with Ron. It sounds more like vibration than engine idling rough. The stock exhaust has flex joints to absorb vibrations. My Redline certainly developed some vibration after the exhaust was installed. I'd definitely try loosening clamps etc and re-tightening at operating temp. You may want to wear welding gloves!

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
I still have the x force installation instructions I got with my x force zorst I fitted a few days ago,i don't know how to put pics up on here,im happy to send pics to your phone if you like.
Tbh I never used the instructions and I always tighten mine from front to back,where as x force recommend back to front,i always leave the tips for last and see how it turns out:)
This vibration after fitting exhausts is totally new to me,ive fitted exhausts to every ford ive ever owned from xd to fg and never had vibes,ford factory exhausts don't have flex joints either,must be a holden thing.Im glad my wagon doesn't have vibrations,must have been lucky.

Vf Lightning

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf Lightning
I'm with Ron. It sounds more like vibration than engine idling rough. The stock exhaust has flex joints to absorb vibrations. My Redline certainly developed some vibration after the exhaust was installed. I'd definitely try loosening clamps etc and re-tightening at operating temp. You may want to wear welding gloves!
Did you manage to get rid of the vibration in your red line after re-tightening ?

Vf Lightning

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf Lightning
I still have the x force installation instructions I got with my x force zorst I fitted a few days ago,i don't know how to put pics up on here,im happy to send pics to your phone if you like.
Tbh I never used the instructions and I always tighten mine from front to back,where as x force recommend back to front,i always leave the tips for last and see how it turns out:)
This vibration after fitting exhausts is totally new to me,ive fitted exhausts to every ford ive ever owned from xd to fg and never had vibes,ford factory exhausts don't have flex joints either,must be a holden thing.Im glad my wagon doesn't have vibrations,must have been lucky.
Thanks for that. I'm gonna call the exhaust place and see if they'll have a look at it.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nah it's a Ford thing. No vibes coz no soul. ;):D:p
Probably more correctly called harmonic than vibration. At certain rpm, the HUD gets a harmonic fuzziness, e.g. cruising at 60k in 4th. Once it changes to 5th, the HUD screen is sharp again. At certain RPM the rear vision mirror does the same. Similar (though not as pronounced) to when you have the bass turned up and Acca Dacca at 92db.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Did you manage to get rid of the vibration in your red line after re-tightening ?
It improved, but not entirely. It doesn't bother me though. I quite like it. After all, it's a 400hp V8.
Can you notice any miss at idle?

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Not entirely. But, it doesn't bother me. I like it.
Just to be sure re O2's I'd chuck a scan tool on it and test the sensors.

Vf Lightning

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf Lightning
It improved, but not entirely. It doesn't bother me though. I quite like it. After all, it's a 400hp V8.
Can you notice any miss at idle?
No miss at idle. Just a shudder through the car when at operating temperature.