Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SV6 Stalling problem

Tyxxxxx

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 VF
Hi, I’ve recently bought a 2014 SV6 VF sedan and have started to experience stalling problems, the car will stall without warning whenever I’m stopped at the light or when I’m going slow preparing to stop. It seems to happen when the car is hot or after I drive for about 20–30mins. When I first got the car there was a vacuum leak so I took it back and they fixed it, could it be something to do with this? At first I thought it was the battery but I’ve replaced it with a brand new one and I still have the stalling issue. I’ve been putting 91 unleaded in the vehicle ( the minimum recommended) but the dealership said that I should put 98 unleaded with injector cleaner instead to fix this issue. There’s no lights showing up on the dash and the car starts perfectly fine after it stalls, there is no weird sounds coming from the car. I’m scared that if I take it to my own mechanic the dealership will void the warranty. What do you guys think it could be?

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V
How many kms has the car done and when was it last serviced? The gurus here can throw more light on the stalling issue.

If you bought the car within the past 3 months, take it back to the dealership and ask them to get it fixed. They cannot force you to fill your car with a fuel grade above what the manufacturer recommends. That is completely your choice.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
I’m scared that if I take it to my own mechanic the dealership will void the warranty.

first off a dealership cannot "void" your warranty.

a dealer cannot force a consumer to use their own mechanics or any other mechanic they choose but you must use qualified mechanics so as long as your mechanic is qualified you are good.

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V
The cars done 144,428km

So if your car was bought less than three months ago, the ACL protection is still available to you. If that option is not available then take the car to a competent (licensed) mechanic and get it diagnosed.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
IMHO this is one of those times where you have to decide whether you’re willing to have a fight with the dealer to get the service which they legally must provide under law ... I’d probably do what they suggest, run two tanks of 98 through it, then when that doesn’t fix it (because in my opinion it won’t) take it back & complain.

Just a few thoughts ...
When it stalls, does it happen immediately? Or does it stutter & grumble & sputter & then stop? Because if it’s spluttering then MAYBE running fuel with cleaners (ie. PULP98) through it might clean out an injector, but I think that’s very unlikely.
If it’s just light-switch stalling, my guess is that you’ve got a flaky engine sensor. In my (admittedly not that extensive) experience, the most likely cause would be a crank-angle sensor being naughty; and to detect that problem in our 1995 Commodore the tech had to be plugged into the ECU with the laptop when it happened, it didn’t log the sensor problem for some reason.

If you don’t want to fight with the dealer & just want it fixed now, taking the car to a qualified mechanic does NOT void any statutory warranty. If you have a warranty with the dealer that’s beyond the required-by-law 3 month warranty, and they’re already not honouring it by fixing this, then if it were me I’d happily take it to a mechanic I trusted as that warranty is worth little.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
To add further, if you bought your car second hand, you are covered by a Used Car Statutory Warranty if the vehicle is less than 10 years old and has travelled less than 160,000kms. The warranty duration is for 3 months or 5,000kms and covers everything unless identified on a defect notice provided with the contract of sale.

Also, whenever you buy any product in Australia, you are also covered by Australian Consumer Law which provides a statutory warranty (consumer guarantee) that the product is as described, fit for use and of acceptable quality... There is no duration specified within the law as to how long statutory warranty should last.

There is also the manufacturers warranty which has a fixed duration but on a 2014 commodore it may or may not have expired since they sold commodores with 3, 5 and 7 year warranties depending on deals at the time of sale. You could also extend the manufacturers warranty under some conditions by paying a fee. So you really need to check what the manufacturers warranty status is.

All the above warranties can’t be excluded or voided because you have serviced your vehicle at non dealer registered business. So you don’t have to go to the dealer for service and ACCC is rather adamant at that.

The last type of warranty is one of those dealer warranties that you purchase at the same time you purchase the vehicle. It‘s more of an insurance policy and is full of all sorts of conditions and usually requires the vehicle must be serviced by the selling dealer. Not sure whether this clause is legally binding or not. Personally I’ve never liked these insurance type warranties but some I know swear by them.

So, which warranty applies depends on how much time has passed since purchase date. I’d look at calling on the used car statutory warranty as the first go to. In all cases of warranty issues, it’s always best to provide a description of the fault, dated and with kms, in writing to the selling dealer ASAP. This is important so the date of notification is preserved as this warranty only lasts 3 months or 5000kms, so you want it documented while it’s still covered.

Then if they say run 98 and some injector cleaner, do so and keep receipts... That way, if the problem isn’t resolved you are still covered by the UCSW since the fault was identified during the period of coverage even though it may now have passed (while you were driving with 98 in the tank).

If the 3 month or 5000kms period has passed, you can try your luck with ACL consumer guarantee as a car should idle without issuse for much longer than the 3 months provided by the UCSW, after all its only 6 years old and Holden sold some models with 7 year factory warranty FFS...

As to what the problem could be, it seems like a heat related issue as some component is suffering when it gets hot. It could be anything and can be an absolute PIA to isolate. I’d check engine sensors/components that impact idle (idle control solenoid, evap control solenoid, throttle position sensor, crank sensor, etc).Then look at AC sensors (anything that senses load and is read by ECU), electronic power steering system (load sensors connected to ecu) and charging system. All these components provide engine load and of something is going askew the ECU may not see the load and not increase idle speed.

In a late 80’s car I owned, I had engine stalling and then aircon cutting out issue which took years to resolve. Bypassed the engine stall by increasing idle speed a little but aircon would still cut in and out. I the end it was a power steering pressure switch with intermittently failed, something handled under as a recall in the USA but the idiot dealers down under had no clue.

Anyway, some food for though.

Good luck.

Tyxxxxx

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 VF
Hi guys thanks for your replies.

I think I’ve managed to find the issue 10 minutes ago when my check Engine light came on. I’ve hooked the car scanner up and it’s came up with code P0102. Do you guys think that I should just get a refund or get it fixed? This is the cars 2nd issue in just a week of owning it. Would I be eligible for a refund? It doesn’t say anything about one in the contract. I am still within the 3 months warranty so I could just get them to fix it.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Under warranty they must fix it, but I think you’d be arguing a lot harder to get your money back on a used car ... there are “fit for purpose” things involved for sure but the intention is that the seller “makes it work” rather than taking it back.

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V
Hi guys thanks for your replies.

I think I’ve managed to find the issue 10 minutes ago when my check Engine light came on. I’ve hooked the car scanner up and it’s came up with code P0102. Do you guys think that I should just get a refund or get it fixed? This is the cars 2nd issue in just a week of owning it. Would I be eligible for a refund? It doesn’t say anything about one in the contract. I am still within the 3 months warranty so I could just get them to fix it.

That particular code relates to the mass airflow sensor (a.k.a. MAF). The sensor could be dirty due to oil residue in the air intake or it could be disconnected or it could be on its way out. It’s located in the engine bay and is a relatively easy fix. If that returns the car to normalcy, you might not qualify for a refund on the car.