Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SV6 storm USB fuse

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by Jimbojnr85, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Jimbojnr85

Jimbojnr85 New Member

Members Ride:
    VF SV6 Storm
    Where do I locate the fuse for the USB and Auxiliary ports in the video this week storm

2. Jimbojnr85

Jimbojnr85 New Member

Members Ride:
    VF SV6 Storm
  3. stooge

stooge Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV
    that looks like the usb for the mylink which is directly connected to the mylink and its fuse will be on the logic board of the mylink and not something you can replace unless you know about component level repair and have the tools which are normally a hotair rework station or hot tweezers.
    Trying it with a standard iron can be a pain in the ass and tricky but not impossible.

i would start by testing different cables and a different phone/device to make sure it is not that.

if you have burnt the fuse out on the mylink board you might need to get someone to repair it.
    here are a few pics to show you where the usb port is on the mylinks board and you will see the components are very small and it would be best to use a rework station.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the other option can be to buy a mylink base unit from a wrecker and have your vin flashed to it and it will work.
    you dont need the screen just the base unit which some wreckers may have cheap because the screen of a vehicle they have might be smashed or damaged but the base unit will be ok.

Skylarking and wetwork65 like this.
  4. Skylarking

Skylarking Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    I’ve always found it unfortunate that electronics are designed in a way that, by connecting a faulty device, you could end up with a huge repair cost (as Holden will obviously say the MyLink unit needs replacement).

There should be either a user replaceable or an onboard self resetting fuses to protect the circuit board from overload. It’s just sad that cheap design and designed obsolescence rains supreme.

stooge likes this.
  5. stooge

stooge Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV
    Some computer motherboards have protections like that but most things are designed more for lower price and to be more compact.

Just look at a big company like apple and the macbook designs.
    a simple <1 cent fuse on the backlight caused many costly repairs or them going to landfill and now the latest ones usb c burning out and over volting devices and so on.
    It shows that even trillion dollar companies still design products based on cheaper costs instead of designing them for longevity and most electronic devices these days are designed to be disposable not repairable.

Back to the mylink usb port, i would not plug anything into it apart from a usb stick for mp3s.
    Devices these days are getting more power hungry and charging for a long period from the usb could pop the fuse.

Skylarking and lmoengnr like this.
  6. lmoengnr

lmoengnr Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
    Fixed that for you!

Skylarking and stooge like this.
  7. snortings

snortings Active Member

Members Ride:
    MY15 SV6
    Interesting, all of my music on my USB that I used to have in the car was MP3. I just bluetooth off of my phone now, I like just being able to add music to my music playlist and not having to unplug the usb, plug it into the computer, download a song, transfer it over, plug it back into the car.

8. lmoengnr

lmoengnr Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
    I have 115gb of WMA lossless music on a USB thumb drive, takes awhile to get through it all.:)
    Originally had MP3 files on the drive from my VE's, which sounded pretty good through the IQ media player.
    Didn't sound as good through Mylink on the VF, was a bit disappointed in the quality...
    A member here mentioned Mylink was compatible with WMA lossless, so I converted some of my favourite flac files to WMA lossless using dbpoweramp. It seemed to make a big improvement!

Haven't tried any music files via my phone though Mylink yet, might have to experiment!
    I did try flac files on my previous phone, Bluetooth through the IQ, but they sounded crappy.

9. Anthony121

Anthony121 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
    I have 32Gig of MP3 in all my VF cars and the music sounds fine. Better than bluetooth from the phone.

10. lordsnipe

lordsnipe Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 SSV
    I can't tell the difference between MP3 and Lossless (in a car, even hard at home), so just use MP3 so I can normalise the audio across the board so that the volume between random tracks is similar using MP3Gain.

Skylarking likes this.
  11. abuch47

abuch47 Active Member

Members Ride:
    LSS3 YOOTE
    I listen to the aunty's youth station.

12. 426Cuda

426Cuda SUBLIME!

Members Ride:
    VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
    Spotify only for me. I like the flexibility of being able to listen any song at any time. If an old, new or somewhat obscure song or band comes to mind, I just search for it crank up the volume and listen to my hearts content.