Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SV6 Wagon 3.6

ybl8te

Reaction score
Members Ride
calis vn v8
Hello everyone - looking to get back into holdens after 10 years away from my VN V8.

I do understand the earlier models Ve and Vz do have the timing chain issues.

What do you think of the VF motor and the chain issue - is it solved?

I am looking at this car https://www.ianhumphrey.co.nz/vehicle/2013-Holden-Commodore/8011?s=1 I have the deal down to 20k - says the first owner was lease with immaculate service history, second owner is local, also with immaculate service history with next servcie due on 122k?

What are your thoughts?

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
I'm not au fait with NZ prices but it seems a bit pricey,nice car by the looks of things but NZ$15,000 would seem to be a ball park figure for a wagon but i guess that's what the Dealer paid/traded for it if he wants 20G.
It would need to have 50-80,000K for 20G but just my opinion.

Chain issues can still arise on the VF,long chain,but its mainly those models that are doing short daily trips with the engine not reaching full operating Temp. like Soccer Mums taking kids to/from School and Police/Govt. work.

Good Luck.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
No timing chain issues with any model forward of the VE engines (which used the Alloytec 3.6 which were subject to the elongated timing chain malaise). Feel free to discuss this with a Holden techie that knows his way around the earlier and current engines. The VF really doesn't have a noteworthy grizzle list from what I can see in the driver's seat! It's the most sublime, comfortable, manouverable gentle giant I've ever had. And the entertaining (programmable!) burble from the exhausts is just what I need to stir up my stuffy, high-browed, Benz-driving neighbours at 5 in the morning...

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
No timing chain issues with any model forward of the VE engines (which used the Alloytec 3.6 which were subject to the elongated timing chain malaise).
It's my understanding that VE2 has some improvements related to that problem, and hence that VE2-onwards are the bestest in terms of longevity?

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
It's my understanding that VE2 has some improvements related to that problem, and hence that VE2-onwards are the bestest in terms of longevity?

It is all a matter of what Holden inadvertantly installed in the engine around the time when the wrong-pitch chains came to light. By that time, many thousands of engines were already on the road. Timing chains themselves will last the life of the engine, and that is certainly true of the VE OMEGA and Commodore models I've seen (a couple of friends have these dating back to 2009 and 2010, and both cars, though a little dented and bruised, are real troopers). It's only a small number of these engines that may have had the wrong chains fitted; in any case, under the new car warranty (all expired now), the chains would be replaced by Holden. Same, too, if buying a car with the staturtory 2 or 5 year warranty covering the engine in its entirety.

Last edited:

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
I don't recall ever reading any thread on VF timing chain problems. I'm concluding this is for one of two reasons, first is Holden did finally make improvements that solved the problem, or second is they haven't quite reached that age where they start to have the problems. I'd say typically Kms were over 100,000 before problem occurred and age maybe 6 years, so we're on the verge of age and kms with typical earlier VFs. Hopefully they have solved this issue as it's a real downer to spend something like $20,000 on a car and then have these problems arise.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
I don't recall ever reading any thread on VF timing chain problems.

That is because this particular problem does not occur with the VF S1 or S2 models. It was confined to a few VZ models within a specific engine range (possibly earlier models too), before being fully resolved around September 2007, and usually around 50 to 70,000km. A long, winding and somewhat exhausting thread exists on this subject in the VZ sub-forum, with links to a Whirlpool post and a statement from Holden listing the affected engine serial number range.

If a VZ has reached 200,00km without the slightest rattle, the chains are the right stuff for that particular car; but it is not universal -- depending on where the model serial falls.

By the time the VE series came out, the chain problem is very likely to have been corrected, even though the VE cars had the same Alloytec 3.6 as the VZ before them. Nobody I know still driving the VEs has anything to say about chains, and these cars are approaching 200, 300,000k in fleets and private ownership.