Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF throttle body service ?!

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Okay...
Just finished the Commodore.
There was some carbon there but it wiped off really easily after spraying with the cleaner.
What suprised me was engine oil residue on the bottom of the TB.
I could also see that the intake manifold was VERY SHINY inside...not in a good way as it's black plastic...
It's clearly covered in oil residue that gets sucked in there !
Catch can time I think !!!

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
Okay...
Just finished the Commodore.
There was some carbon there but it wiped off really easily after spraying with the cleaner.
What suprised me was engine oil residue on the bottom of the TB.
I could also see that the intake manifold was VERY SHINY inside...not in a good way as it's black plastic...
It's clearly covered in oil residue that gets sucked in there !
Catch can time I think !!!
I’m wondering if this (engine oil residue) is the sort of thing the service guy at the Dealer asked me about when I had the 45k service earlier this week. He said something about $69 (from memory) on top of the $239 service to clean oil build up somewhere or other in the engine. I declined having only 17k on the clock...no doubt it will need to be done sooner or later?

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I’m wondering if this (engine oil residue) is the sort of thing the service guy at the Dealer asked me about when I had the 45k service earlier this week. He said something about $69 (from memory) on top of the $239 service to clean oil build up somewhere or other in the engine. I declined having only 17k on the clock...no doubt it will need to be done sooner or later?

Upper engine cleaner (subaru) mentioned here could probably help with cleaning this out....

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
Upper engine cleaner (subaru) mentioned here could probably help with cleaning this out....
Ok cheers Ron...I was thinking as such ...just not sure how much there would be to clean out & how they would go about it...I’ll arm myself with info from this thread and have a chat with the guy in 9mths time...likely to only have another 2-3k on the clock by then anyway.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Something I’m not getting here. If it’s needed, intake and throttle body cleaning that is, why is it not listed as a service item and included under the fixed price schedule?

Anyone who has had driving issues because of gummed up intake and throttle body problem directly discussed with Holden Customer Care why intake and throttle body cleaning it is not included as a service item covered by fixed price schedule? The next question would be if gumming up occurs frequently, why a catch which many say resolves such issues was not included as standard fit tent? Gotta be one or the other in my view.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Something I’m not getting here. If it’s needed, intake and throttle body cleaning that is, why is it not listed as a service item and included under the fixed price schedule?

Anyone who has had driving issues because of gummed up intake and throttle body problem directly discussed with Holden Customer Care why intake and throttle body cleaning it is not included as a service item covered by fixed price schedule? The next question would be if gumming up occurs frequently, why a catch which many say resolves such issues was not included as standard fit tent? Gotta be one or the other in my view.

It's not essential thing to do but dealers try to make a quick buck by offering this.

I can't tell any difference after cleaning so it does not really matter that much but I like to know it's clean.

It took me 10- 15min to do..some cleaner and a clean cloth...

Dealer would probably do the same and charge some stupid amount...

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Yeah, I get what you say.

Others have stated they’ve had idle issues due to gunk... So really, either the intake gets gunked up because there is a PCV design issue (catch can fix) or because the intake is not routinely cleaned as part of scheduled service (considering poor PCV design).

It’s either one or the other, can’t not be either. This should be especially true on V6’s from what I’ve read...

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It's not an issue now but give it 10-15 years (assuming the VF's last as long as the 2nd/3rd gen Commodores) and it will become a problem. Manufacturers don't care as the vehicle is long past it's service/warranty period.

The PCV system is great for EPA reasons but poor for internal engine cleanliness and worse on direct injection motors where there is no fuel to keep the inlet tract/valve clean (hence the bigger issue on the direct injection V6 engines).

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
its the whole reason why the electronic throttle body has "trims" ( like fuel trims) to keep it where it should be over time and as a thin layer builds up in the throttle body, also why some clean out the throttle body and get a high idle rpm as it only needs a barely measurable layer to affect airflow at idle