Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF throttle body service ?!

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
^ TB trim is continually assessed and adjusted? Or is some maintenance relearn procedure required after TB clean?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
^ TB trim is continually assessed and adjusted? Or is some maintenance relearn procedure required after TB clean?
it will find its way back as there is alot of error its slowly fixing when it is cleaned it changes all at once not like normal use where it builds up over years, or there is the throttle relearn which clears out the memory of the idle trims so it can learn back quicker

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Something I’m not getting here. If it’s needed, intake and throttle body cleaning that is, why is it not listed as a service item and included under the fixed price schedule
Simple. Because the basic service schedule is the bare essential critical items designed to keep the average tight arse safe and reasonably happy. If they included the intake clean in the job the cost of the service would increase by some measured amount, probably 10 or 15 dollars (the true value of the service) because Holden is scared to add too much stealer tax, so to keep the fixed price service cost down. Otherwise tight arse Joe goes to Joe blow down the street instead because he doesn't really give a stuff as long as it starts and stops.
So instead they offer an upgrade, with upgraded pricing, to uncle Nick who likes to drive quick ;) and likes to keep his motor schmick...!

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I can't tell any difference after cleaning so it does not really matter that much but I like to know it's clean.
It took me 10- 15min to do..some cleaner and a clean cloth....
Good to hear you DIY'd it!
Do you feel that man and machine connection growing within you?
As you said, I do these things myself because I like to know they are done and done properly. The more of these little service steps you do the better your best will run and you will get and should anything begin to wear or fail or leak etc etc you will find out sooner. Good stuff!

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline MY15 Series 1
Last Holden service for her 75K was 7,500km ago - I do interstitial 7,500km services, so this weekend was it. I do enjoy it. It’s the only way I truly know that I’m getting Mobil 1 in her for example.

Anyway, last service they charged me (don’t laugh) $140 to clean the throttle body from memory. I am a hobbyist mechanic and learn incrementally, and have since done my wife’s throttle body (made a massive difference) and then this thread came up so I though bugger it, I’ll try the same with the VF.

So turns out to be an even easier job on the VF than the wife’s Elantra. This is what it looked like, again after being “cleaned” by Holden 7500km ago.

Question - does this look like a throttle body after 82,500km? Or after 7,500km?

Attachments

• 9ACDF1BB-6A97-4F3D-8C4C-6F0383100248.jpeg
    9ACDF1BB-6A97-4F3D-8C4C-6F0383100248.jpeg
    22.5 KB · Views: 316

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Good to hear you DIY'd it!
Do you feel that man and machine connection growing within you?
As you said, I do these things myself because I like to know they are done and done properly. The more of these little service steps you do the better your best will run and you will get and should anything begin to wear or fail or leak etc etc you will find out sooner. Good stuff!
Oh yeah. Love doing this kinda stuff. Feel so masculine now

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Just think, you're wife will feel those extra masculine vibs coming from you....

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Did this on Mazda 3 tonight.
The car did 40 000km and it was never cleaned. Negligible amount of carbon in the back of the throttle body...
Will check Commodore tomorrow ..

I have 3 Mazda 3's, so I know what they can look like, where none of ours where done, Well I am sure they weren't,
I took all 3 off and cleaned them properly, [had to plug the cooling pipes]
TB's look heaps better cleaned off the off cars, and they do idle better.