Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF throttle body service ?!

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Every time I take the car to the dealer for service they ask if I wanted them to clean the throttle body...
I say no...

The car is about to click 40 000km...
Does the TB really need to be cleaned if the car runs well ?

This sounds to me like another quick money grabbing scheme by the dealer ?

eman1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
I would think if it needed done it would be part of the logbook service.

I’ve only ever seen issues with dirty throttle bodies with 200+ thousand km on them.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Pull the intake pipe off and have a look?
If it's black and chunky, yes!

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
Take it off and clean it yourself,it will most likely be very dirty.
My 2013 vf ssv wagon only had 50k and when I removed the t/b to clean it,it was filthy,pretty much black.
Unplug the harness and unbolt the t/b then clean it with throttle body cleaner,job done,too easy.
Dont do it on the car and don't just wipe it with a rag while its on the car either.
I clean mine every couple of services if its dirty,almost always is on every car ive ever owned.
Most engines have the rocker cover breather/pcv hose plumbed into the t/b or into the manifold/intake pipe and the t/b gets caked in oil vapour.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Will have a look on Saturday and see if it's dirty.
Cheers guys

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I clean mine every service, and may even check it between services [by taking the intake hose off],
have taken mine off numerous times and cleaned it, and of recent do it while on the car by spraying degreaser on a rag, and opening the throttle by hand, and cleaning it that way.

Yes its another money milking option, as they don't take it off, or they just open the throttle and do it with a rag, and charge you an hours labour for a 5 minute job.
I know, because in the early days, I use to set my car up to see if they actualy did what they say they do,

I marked a TB bolt with liquid paper on the side of the bolt head,
So if they attached a socket to it, it would mark/damage the liquid paper on the bolt head or Nut, or the bolt/nut could be replaced into a different position,
Well, that's were they came unstuck, when I went to pick up my car, I checked under the bonnet and noticed the bolt/nut had not been touched with a socket, as I did it up real tight, so the use of a socket would of damaged the liquid paper,
I then challenged them about "All the items that was listed on the service docket if they were done", and they claimed that they were all done, I asked them "are you sure", they said that its all been done,
I asked them, how they do throttle body clean, they said they remove the throttle body and clean it, and place it back on the intake,
I then pointed out that the liquid paper on the bolt I had marked was not damaged,
They said its been done,
I then said that's interesting, because my marking has not been damaged,
they then asked the Technician, and he said that he didn't do it,
As he just thought it was a Standard minor service.

In a nutshell, and ever since that error of their ways, I do it myself, and save my hard earnt money.

Side Note: If it is real dirty, remove it and clean it,
Then just check it now, and then and use a rag with degreaser on it through the mouth of the throttle, and it will always breath easy and idle smoother.

Last edited:

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
Suttons offer me the same service every time and I decline. Usually I clean the TB myselg the weekend before the service. I ask the service adviser, "is it really dirty enough to need to be cleaned? Because I only cleaned it on the weekend" and the response is usually "Oh we haven't cleaned it for you before, so it's due for a clean". I've started using https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p...etrol-engine-intake-decarb---366g/348781.html as well as the throttle body cleaner. The SIDI on the SV6's means the fuel injectors are not "washing" the back of the intake valves, so they can cake up if not maintained. Well so I have been told.

I used to get the same with the E3 and the VE over power steering fluid needing to be flushed because it "looses viscosity". I usually do them twice a year with a turkey baster - it only replaces approx 50% of the fluid, but thats over 90% fresh fluid evey 2 years, so good enough for an item that's not in the service schedule (I think).

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Suttons offer me the same service every time and I decline. Usually I clean the TB myselg the weekend before the service. I ask the service adviser, "is it really dirty enough to need to be cleaned? Because I only cleaned it on the weekend" and the response is usually "Oh we haven't cleaned it for you before, so it's due for a clean". I've started using https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p...etrol-engine-intake-decarb---366g/348781.html as well as the throttle body cleaner. The SIDI on the SV6's means the fuel injectors are not "washing" the back of the intake valves, so they can cake up if not maintained. Well so I have been told.

I used to get the same with the E3 and the VE over power steering fluid needing to be flushed because it "looses viscosity". I usually do them twice a year with a turkey baster - it only replaces approx 50% of the fluid, but thats over 90% fresh fluid evey 2 years, so good enough for an item that's not in the service schedule (I think).
Well I'll give them some credit on the power steering fluid. It should be changed at some stage, say every 5 years yet so many places don't bother to touch it. Your turkey baster idea isn't too bad. That would keep the fluid nice and fresh but eventually it's worth pulling the reservoir out and flushing it cos they built up a fair bit of crap on the filter.

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
When I owned Subaru's, I used to use the Subaru Upper Engine Cleaner religiously to clean the throttle body and intake. I found a few cans in my garage, so used one on the weekend. Worked wonders on my Redline, maybe it's placebo but my Redline feels smoother/eager to go if you know what I mean.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS

Same here...
Suttons...