Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Under dash squeak

Magnum61

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Magnum
My Magnum has only 4000k's on it and there is what sounds like a plastic squeak/noise coming from under the dash "It's driving me nuts"! even to the point that it puts me off driving it. And then I noticed it on my wifes clubsport but not quite as bad. Is this common on Vf's?

Anyone else had this issue & been able to sort it out?

And yes it goes away when the radio is turned up :cool: . I prefer the sound of the V8 over the radio though.

VF Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 2 Redline ute
Have you had the front windscreen lubricated with silicon spray? Was a common complaint when the '17s were released. Plenty of talk about it on this forum.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
.... Is this common on Vf's? ...
From what I’ve read on these forums, if your commodore doesn’t squeak or squeal then it has failed in Holdens consistency standards and must be taken to a dealer right away for rectification work :p

On a more serious note, don‘t know about your specific under dash noises but if its coming from the dash top, it’d be the windscreen rubber so do as @VF Ute suggests. Or drive it a little more and it may settle down as things wear in...

As is, squeaks and such are only covered for I think 3000kms but if you have Holden try and correct them you usually end up with more noises...

Magnum61

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Magnum
Thanks guys,
after literally all of my youth driving Sh!tboxes, I've learnt to listen for these things & when I don't know what they are it drives me nucking futs!

It sounds like it's closer to the gauges than the windscreen but I'll check it out and if it's Holden standard I guess I'll have to learn to enjoy it. :)

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Yeah, a Commodore without squeaks is unsaleable, the used market thinks it's just some rebadged unloved Opel ... :)

Those sorts of things can sound like they're coming from different places to where they're generated, the vibrations will travel along a piece of trim or metal & you hear it where there's a hole or vent or something. I reckon most likely the windscreen based on the descriptions of other 2017 owners.

Our 2015 is pretty good, at nearly 30k kms it's definitely better squeak/rattle wise than VY/VZ era rentals I had with three-digit odo-readings on them. And stuff from VR and before was shocking. Oddly the VS I bought off my uncle in '05 & only replaced with the VF in 2015 was quite silent when we got it. I think he may have been getting his mechanic to track down the squeaks & rattles as they appeared, probably doing some of that himself too. Although when I asked my mechanic to do something about the wiring that had a section of the centre-console dark at night, apparently someone had glued half the air-vents back there together with masses of silicone in an effort to chase down the leaf-stuck-in-air-vent sound that it made on very odd occasion ...

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
i only get a squeak out of the center console storage bin lid nowhere else (and only if i lean on it) fingers crossed i've just passed 100,000k's!

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
It could also be the HUD as mine is sometimes noisy. I've had the windscreen issue and was probably one of the first cars Holden looked at. The HUD is an annoying sound but right now I turn the music up.

RedlandA9X

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII, SV6 Black
Don't forget the sunglasses console on the roof. I had a squeak and it appeared to be coming from below the dash. It ended up being the dome light and sun glasses assy. When its squeaky, put a slight pressure on the dome light and see if it goes away. Mainly happened to me on warm to hot days.

Magnum61

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Magnum
Thanks all!
If I push on the dash just in front of my left hand, I can stop the noise. Makes it harder to change gears but the noise goes away. Not sure which is most important? LOL!