Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Ute black panel between tray and cabin

benneth

Reaction score
Hi all,
I recently purchased a VF ute, and looking at installing a hardlid. I've noticed an additional black plastic panel between the ute tray weathershield rubber and the cabin on utes that have a factory/dealer hard lid installed, whereas mine doesn't have it as its a standard tonneau covering.
Does anyone know the purpose of it, is it protection from water ingress into the tray? and does anyone know what it is called?

Cheers, Ben.

Attachments

• images (17).jpeg
    images (17).jpeg
    50.5 KB · Views: 85
  • VE2P-04.jpg
    VE2P-04.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 84

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Hi all,
I recently purchased a VF ute, and looking at installing a hardlid. I've noticed an additional black plastic panel between the ute tray weathershield rubber and the cabin on utes that have a factory/dealer hard lid installed, whereas mine doesn't have it as its a standard tonneau covering.
Does anyone know the purpose of it, is it protection from water ingress into the tray? and does anyone know what it is called?

Cheers, Ben.
I don't know the actual name of the part, but it is a water deflector, and was in the kit dealers received for the hard lid option.
It's just a piece of acrylic about 3mm thick, cut and shaped to fit between the plastic tub and the rear wall of the cabin.
Stuck on the cab wall with double sided tape.
Its only real use is to stop the tub filling up when you open the lid when it is wet, and all the water that accumulates on the lid runs straight to the front.

The water seals on the hard lid itself are really good and have no problems with weather sealing in nasty weather.

benneth

Reaction score
I don't know the actual name of the part, but it is a water deflector, and was in the kit dealers received for the hard lid option.
It's just a piece of acrylic about 3mm thick, cut and shaped to fit between the plastic tub and the rear wall of the cabin.
Its only real use is to stop the tub filling up when you open the lid when it is wet, and all the water that accumulates on the lid runs straight to the front.

The water seals on the hard lid itself are really good and have no problems with weather sealing in nasty weather.
Thank is great thank you mate!

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute

I bought a genuine hard lid for my Ute and had the water deflector and several rubber pieces to fit and a couple of silicon beads in certain places for water sealing. I've never had a drop of water in there washing the car and they seal extremely well. They're a mongrel thing to fit and spent hours adjusting it to fit mint and open and close nicely, but they're a nice kit nonetheless!

20210612_162126.jpg