Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Ute "New Car Replacement" value

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
I’d say these vehicles have appreciated and have a higher value to I’d want the $50k
Yes and no... market value must have some bearing otherwise the higher premium new for old policy isn’t working to the policy holders benefit
which is why he paid more)
It would have cost them more if Holden had continued to make the vehicles but increased price to make then profitable.

If they were still making them, and selling them new for around $40k, do you reckon a 2016 one would be worth $50k?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
If they were still making them, and selling them new for around $40k, do you reckon a 2016 one would be worth $50k?
Obviously not but what’s to say Holden wouldn’t be selling new SV6 utes for $45k or $48k? It‘s all about finding a value of what it would have cost the insurance company to replace it.

It’s a bit like playing poker where one doesn’t showing their cards too early...

Insurance company doesn’t know what you’d actually accept and by the same token you don’t know what the insurance company would accept... it’s a game where hopefully the players aren’t too far apart and able to agree at what this fictitious unavailable ute would have cost :cool:

Wood Dust

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Ute
As per the last sentence of your policy, what is the amount covered shown on the certificate of insurance?
$24k "market value" and the $37k original purchase value.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
Obviously not but what’s to say Holden wouldn’t be selling new SV6 utes for $45k or $48k? It‘s all about finding a value of what it would have cost the insurance company to replace it.

That’s why I mentioned looking at the actual price increase over the model run to give an indicative value. Insurance companies pay a shedload to actuaries to avoid having to pull figures out of the sky. It all has to be based on evidence of some sort.

I’d still be surprised if the OP gets more than what he paid for it in 2016. Assuming he owns it outright or at least a substantial portion of it, he will still be arguably better off than he was before the prang anyway.

just had a look at carsales, there are 14 2016 SV6 black edition utes available, the highest priced one...?......$35000. So im not sure where this $50k comes from

Wood Dust

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Ute
maths not your strong point :p
math/maths been argued before :p

I hate dealing with insurance companies these days, getting old and grumpy :eek:
I find the argument far stronger when it is put forward that I engaged an "expert" to do the calculations, rather than "I did the math"!!!!

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
By way of example, folk are asking $39k for a lower optioned 2017 VF which is $2k higher that what I paid.

Final year of production will always command a premium

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I’ll bet my left one you’ll be getting the $37k and not a cent more :/
Lets hope you don’t have to move to New Zealand, though I hear Wanaka is nice :p