Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Ute rear speaker output

Camfoxx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Ute
Hey guys,
I have a VF SS Series 1. So no rear speakers. I installed a 5 channel amp using high input from my front speakers which powers my front splits and subs, but now have the loud audible chimes.
There is a wiring kit that Universal fuze make that use the output from the rear speakers, but you have to buy one of their amps. and I already have an excellent kicker amp so don't want to buy another just for the loom they provide.
My question is can I tap into rear speaker output somewhere else? I saw a YouTube video that shows there're are potentially rear speaker wires behind the foot kick panel. But they weren't connected because its a ute. Is there rear speakers output on the back of Mylink head unit that I can access?
Before everyone says I should change my head unit, I already invested $1000 to put apple CarPlay on my stock head unit last year and not keen on spending more money on another head unit.
Any help would be great before I'm forced to buy a $500 wiring loom

vs355x

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf
Are you still chasing info on this? Ive just done my setup in a vf maloo and from all the various info, have put it together, and so far so good.

Would be keen to hear what setup you used for carplay - and some real feedback on it

Camfoxx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Ute
Are you still chasing info on this? Ive just done my setup in a vf maloo and from all the various info, have put it together, and so far so good.

Would be keen to hear what setup you used for carplay - and some real feedback on it

i still haven’t progressed any further with checking for rear speakers output on my head unit. Still listening to amplified chimes.
Does the VF Maloo already run an amp and rear speakers?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
i still haven’t progressed any further with checking for rear speakers output on my head unit. Still listening to amplified chimes.
Does the VF Maloo already run an amp and rear speakers?

It's a ute, so no rear speakers, just subs in the bottom of the B pillars and an amp to drive them.

vs355x

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf
So - VF maloo - as above, it has subs under the B pillars, and an amp behind the rear panel.
My update was nothing huge, but should be relevant. I had a pair of German Maestro splits sitting around, so decided they should go in the maloo. I had a couple of old alpine amps, but wanted to keep this simple - so bought a Focal 4.320. Plan was to run swap in the german maestro splits, run them off the front channels of the amp, and then run the subs of the rear channels of the amp. Wasnt sure how they would like it, but worth a shot.

Fitted an aerpro vf headunit t adaptor, hooked the REAR speaker channels from the headunit into the focal amp, then wired out to splits and subs (amp is happy to use 2 channels and then split to 4 speakers). I also fitted a 3.5in speaker into the dash https://au.element14.com/mcm-audio-select/55-5675/3-5-full-range-dual-cone-speaker/dp/2802287 off the Right Front speaker output (this does the indicator/chimes etc), then faded the headunit all the way to the rear. As the speaker is purely there for the chimes etc - the $7 speaker is perfect - as opposed to having to buy a pair for $120+...... Also picked up the remote feed from the fuse panel (next to the battery). I cannot remember which one - but there was a thread on here that highlighted which fuse to use. Factory subs are disconnected from the factory amp and now wired into the focal amp.
I had no idea when I did it, if it was using the rear channels or not, just used the t adaptor and went from there. I did read somewhere (but dont quote me), that if the rear outputs dont work, the headunit can be reprogrammed (not sure if its something that anyone can do (deep in the menu - or if it requires a dealer or equiv to do. Essentially just turning on the rear speaker outputs).
Put a fair bit of sound deadening into the doors, behind the rear trim panel and around the sub boxes.

So far so good, I dont drive it much, but all seems to do what it should. Subs are ok (and better than expected) - but may look at an upgrade.

Hope the above helps you or others.

Carplay - which setup did you go with, and whats your verdict. I really want it to just add Waze or google maps, as well as audio. Im ok with it being not 100% perfect, but if its tempremental - then not interested. As with the above upgrades - I dont want to do anything that changes the appearance from standard, and everything has to be easily removed (aside from the sound deadening)

Camfoxx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Ute
Thanks for your info. This is awesome. I will definitely look into the Aeropro adapter. Did you buy this off Ebay, any chance you can share the link?
So does the Aeropro adapter connect straight from the back of the MYlink Head unit? And provides 4 Chanel output RCA or 4 channel Speaker output from the head unit which will allow me to connect the 3.5inch speaker to go in the top of my dash and then run my amps for the splits and sub on the rear speaker output? This is essentially what Universal Fuze are selling in their loom, but only with an amp or audio controller. So if its available from Aeropro, that would save me a heap.

With regards to the Apple CarPlay, I went with Naviplus. https://www.naviplus.com.au/online-...id-Auto-&-Apple-CarPlay-Package-Kit-p96658067 They're in Clayton, (Vic) They can send out the kit to DIY, but I opted to have them fit it.
It works awesome. I run Waze, Google maps, Spotify, iheart Radio, Tunin radio and pretty much anything I need digital audio wise. My VF is a daily and I drive interstate a lot. ((average 60,000kms P/A) (pre covid)). So for me the Waze maps with speed camera warnings, traffic and shared police alert warnings etc was a must, especially on the Highways. (I also run UHF radio to listen in on the Truckies for traffic and police warnings when interstate.)
I didn't go for the bluetooth option. As I have a dedicated iPhone for my car which I have permanently connected. It only runs a data sim card, but I have it connected all the time and I have it connected to a wireless charger cradle that is permanently connected to power. So it stays fully charged.
The reason I tell you this, is I believe the power coming out of the CarPlay kit is only charging at 5 amps and these latest iPhones / Samsung require more, so it depletes faster than it charges when running maps and music and then stops charging when the car is off, but the phone stays on. Having said this, I had my carplay installed in Nov 2019, so they may have changed the output now.
If you don't use you car much, you're probably best to go with the Bluetooth module and run a seperate charger. I didn't go with this as I knew I was going to have a dedicated phone for maps and music and keep my normal phone seperate. I also get in and out of the car a lot and heard the bluetooth takes a little while to connect and doesn't always connect properly every time. (Again this was back on 2019 so they may have fixed this now)
I originally planned to run a Samsung to my car and keep apple as my normal phone, So I've tried both on the car play. There's some good features that Samsung have on the car play that Apple don't, but the Waze on Apple is much better than the Waze on Android. But this is all my personal opinion.
So 2 years on and my CarPlay still works awesome and I use it every day. I've heard there are some good alternative head units like Alpine which already have CarPlay pre installed, but I prefer to stick with the factory head unit. I too have ensured no visual damage from mods to my car, and when I want to remove my amp and subs, speakers even UHF they won't leave any holes. Hope this helps!

Reactions: Lex

vs355x

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf
https://aerpro.com/ct10cv04?src=api is the t harness adaptor - essentially it plugs in between factory connector and the headunit, allowing you to take off the speakers etc. This is speakers - not rca, so in my case, i used them as high level inputs (not rca) into the amp. I got it wholesale through a supplier, but ebay, autobarn, repco etc can all get it.
Basically - this is what they are doing at a fraction of the price. To be fair - their kit I assume is fully wired and is plug and play. With this setup, you still need to run the wires from the T piece.

Now - since you are running one of those naviplus or similar style kits - it MAY already have the t piece fitted as part of their kit. (this was something i was going to ask when I go carplay).

It may be worth popping your headunit out - to see what wiring is there (t piece), so that you know what you have before you go buying/committing to anything else.

Cheers for the info on carplay - I know its not perfect, but as long as its close. Had looked at naviplus - just didnt like the warranty info (if there is an issue - customer covers the cost of return etc etc). Happy enough to install myself, just dont want fights with warranty etc (if needed)

Mrwhite5166

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SV6 VFII Black

Camfoxx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Ute

Mrwhite5166

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SV6 VFII Black
I have a sedan, audio place is saying I need to replace the head unit in order to fix the issue