Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF V6 to much oil

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
Years ago a certain manufacturer :)cough: Holden :cough:) had a problem with their engines using a little more oil than desired betweern oil changes. The solution? Replace the dipstick with a dipstick that had a higher full point on it and increase the fill amount to compensate. I'm thinking it was 1/2-1 litre more than originally specced. I wouldn't stress about 5mm too much.

I remember that, pretty sure that was early VS V6 - 1995 I think

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Wow. I'd rather drive the car the way it's meant to be driven but just my opinion.
I'd just leave the oil sit there, if any thing extra oil will protect against corrosion if the car is not being driven. If you did want to drain a cup of oil just undo the sump plug, let it drain for 1 second and put it back in.
I agree about the cartridge filter, although you would still get a tiny bit of oil out that way but really a waste of time.

I have another car and i bought it in late 1971 and in that period (48 years) i have 26,450 Miles on the clock and been on a wet road about 4 to 6 times. yeah call me paranoid, LOL.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Years ago a certain manufacturer :)cough: Holden :cough:) had a problem with their engines using a little more oil than desired betweern oil changes. The solution? Replace the dipstick with a dipstick that had a higher full point on it and increase the fill amount to compensate. I'm thinking it was 1/2-1 litre more than originally specced. I wouldn't stress about 5mm too much.
I had a 2002 CV8 Monaro (LS1) that drank more oil than petrol. I was as shocker. It was that bad that the dealers put extra Extra oil in it. I got rid of it after I had two engine in it, Sold it at 10500k on the clock after the dealer re-built the Engine and put oversize pistons + pistons with longer skirts on it.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Could help myself, I drained out a little, (loosen the plug and drip, drip ,and drip and 30 minutes later it was ok now its bulls eye.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline MY15 Series 1
I don't know what the trick is but I find it damn near impossible to tell what the oil level is with my dipstick. It's always smeared to the point where there is no clear line.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I don't know what the trick is but I find it damn near impossible to tell what the oil level is with my dipstick. It's always smeared to the point where there is no clear line.
Wipe it clean then poke it back in for about 3 seconds then pull out again.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline MY15 Series 1
Wipe it clean then poke it back in for about 3 seconds then pull out again.

Don't know why I didn't try that - seems obvious! ;-) (/sarcasm)

I've done it multiple times, never can get a clean reading that I'm 100% happy with.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Best to use paper towel/cotton rag rather than a synthetic cloth/rag.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
:mad::confused::mad:
Don't know why I didn't try that - seems obvious! ;-) (/sarcasm)

I've done it multiple times, never can get a clean reading that I'm 100% happy with.
LoL, you would be surprised how many people couldn't even figure that out. In your case id say the stick must be too close to the tube and the level is getting smeared on the way out. You might find putting a very slight bend in the stick solves it. But don't blame me if you break it:mad::D:mad:

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Depending on what oil is used as I expect some NEW oils are hard to see. Now if the car has done 5000k on the oil its easier to see the level.