Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF V8 AFM Exhaust Drone Fixed

HollySSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SSV Sportwagon S1
Hi All,
first time posting long time viewer. I have been watching quite a few posts on afm drone with larger exhausts, particularly with VE & VF wagons. I finally figured out on my wife’s VF SSV after much trial, how to all but eliminate the drone while afm is still active on the car.
My exhaust fitted is as follows:
1) VF HSV GTS Extractors & Cats
2) HSV 2.5inch Catback with VE/ VF1 vacuum Bimodal mufflers
3) eBay vacuum controller kit for bimodal mufflers.
The exhaust sounds fantastic in 8cyl mode with my Walkinshaw intake and bimodals open at wot. It’s when it cuts down to 4cyl mode at about 50-60kph and 100kph with mufflers open the horrendous drone kicks in. I found I was having to constantly close the bimodals to kill the drone.
After chopping and changing around with different mufflers and ideas, I finally got the shits and started researching into other options such as H & X pipes. Today I finally got the courage up to pull out the Welder, Dremel, Grinder and some pipe. Low and behold I have finally fixed the drone issue in loud mode. I added a 2.5 inch H pipe section to just behind the center resonators or hotdogs, what ever you want to call them. Wow!! what a difference it has made. I can now drive around in 8 or 4cyl mode bi modals full open and no drone at all. I am so happy with the end result. I can now enjoy the sweet V8 sound without my ears bleeding from that horrible noise. I hope this may help anyone suffering the same issues.
Cheers Josh

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi All,
first time posting long time viewer. I have been watching quite a few posts on afm drone with larger exhausts, particularly with VE & VF wagons. I finally figured out on my wife’s VF SSV after much trial, how to all but eliminate the drone while afm is still active on the car.
My exhaust fitted is as follows:
1) VF HSV GTS Extractors & Cats
2) HSV 2.5inch Catback with VE/ VF1 vacuum Bimodal mufflers
3) eBay vacuum controller kit for bimodal mufflers.
The exhaust sounds fantastic in 8cyl mode with my Walkinshaw intake and bimodals open at wot. It’s when it cuts down to 4cyl mode at about 50-60kph and 100kph with mufflers open the horrendous drone kicks in. I found I was having to constantly close the bimodals to kill the drone.
After chopping and changing around with different mufflers and ideas, I finally got the shits and started researching into other options such as H & X pipes. Today I finally got the courage up to pull out the Welder, Dremel, Grinder and some pipe. Low and behold I have finally fixed the drone issue in loud mode. I added a 2.5 inch H pipe section to just behind the center resonators or hotdogs, what ever you want to call them. Wow!! what a difference it has made. I can now drive around in 8 or 4cyl mode bi modals full open and no drone at all. I am so happy with the end result. I can now enjoy the sweet V8 sound without my ears bleeding from that horrible noise. I hope this may help anyone suffering the same issues.
Cheers Josh

Well done,
Wish I had of know this when I had my SSV rear mufflers on, they just finished my car, especially when it was idling,
I loved the (quiet) low V8 deep note, but loathed the drone in 4cyl mode.

Last edited:

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
After thinking about what you had done, I remember back to my 1977 LX Torana days, when I put extractors on my 4.2, and kept the remainder of OEM exhaust, and that had a “H” section in the centre, and that was used to equalise the pressure difference between the left and right pipe.
And loved the low V8 note that was not too loud.

Last edited:

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
I have a vf 1 ssv wagon with 2.5 x force catback,ve hsv extractors and venom high flow bolt in cats,no drone,mine is tuned though with the afm disabled.
Personally i think disabling the afm will help the factory lifters last alot longer,its the constant opening and closing of the outer sleeve in afm mode that wears them out,fuel economy in mine is barely worse than stock,less than a litre per hundred.
I think mine was between 12.5 to 13 stock in the city,it never really goes over around 13.5 in the city tuned with exhaust otr and diff gears,alot better on the highway and alot more fun to drive,smiles per miles wins for me.

HollySSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SSV Sportwagon S1
I did look at purchasing the range disabler, but I wanted to keep the AFM on due to most of the kms being done around town. Krusing, I also notice that the VF2 GTSR had a factory H pipe. Not sure if it was for performance and sound or some drone issues as well. Some corvettes and the new Camaro also have H or X pipes fitted.

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
On the subject of a X pipe, and on a different tangent,
I did notice my VY Super6 has a H section inthe pipe, being all stock and I have noticed the exhaust note does also sound a bit different than a stock V6. [L36]

Last edited:

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I had a H pipe fitted to my Torana 30 or more years ago to balance the exhaust, it's not new science.

And yes it definitely changes the sound of the exhaust, it smooths it out.

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
I had a H pipe fitted to my Torana 30 or more years ago to balance the exhaust, it's not new science.

And yes it definitely changes the sound of the exhaust, it smooths it out.

I bet you wish you had the Torana now ?,
because I sure do, because it was a Ton of fun !