Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF V8 AFM Exhaust Drone Fixed

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Talk about AFM and the 4 cyl mode where does it kick in. What condition are needed to kick in the AFM 4 Cyl mode. I see you can buy a device that you can plug into your OBD 2 port to keep the 6.0LTR L77 in 8 cyl mode if you use Bi Modal rear Mufflers to stop drone

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
i personally couldn't tell you, however with the system i listed above i do get a bit of a crackle.

As Imoengnr said, it's all in the tune.

Holden have introduced it with the VF2 to turn on the owners who otherwise may never wish to do even minor mods to their cars.

I think it's a bit tinny in the stock car personally but if you go with an aftermarket exhaust it can beef it up and it sounds good, especially with long tube headers and high flow cats.

I actually request some of it when my cars are being tuned.

But it all comes down to your hearing taste and what you like.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
As Imoengnr said, it's all in the tune.

Holden have introduced it with the VF2 to turn on the owners who otherwise may never wish to do even minor mods to their cars.

I think it's a bit tinny in the stock car personally but if you go with an aftermarket exhaust it can beef it up and it sounds good, especially with long tube headers and high flow cats.

I actually request some of it when my cars are being tuned.

But it all comes down to your hearing taste and what you like.

Try driving the Caprice V, all you hear is SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISH !!!! I expected a little of noise on a v8 not as quite as the caprice.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Try driving the Caprice V, all you hear is SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISH !!!! I expected a little of noise on a v8 not as quite as the caprice.
It does have the deep sound of a V8 but not the same as the redline. Oh I was thinking the series two Caprice with he LS3 which may of had a difference sound.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
It does have the deep sound of a V8 but not the same as the redline. Oh I was thinking the series two Caprice with he LS3 which may of had a difference sound.
The 6.0LTR has a deep sound but can hardly hear it. One month ago when I purchased the car I was at a Holden Dealer and a red VE SS parked next to me two bays across and after 3 minute the guy came back and start the car and it sounded good. Yes the car Looked standard and I think the exhaust was the same. I would be happy with that. No doubt that Holden wanted the Calais and the Caprice to be extra quiet not like a standard VF SS that I think its has a little more rumble.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
agree the 6.0L can sound nice but the stock exhausts are awful, the one on my Redline was beyond awful so quiet.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
agree the 6.0L can sound nice but the stock exhausts are awful, the one on my Redline was beyond awful so quiet.
Not a quiet as the Caprice. Now I would say its Extra quiet. LOL (too frigging quiet)

jcvhsle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh Sle 4.2, ve SSZ z wagon
ok, im late on this thread but here goes. i have just fitted to my 12 ssv wagon, E3 GTS centre section and bi modal rears. Wow what a difference. the only issue is the 4 cyl drone on cruise as i havent hooked up the vacuum system yet. being a hwy driver guess i will have too. total cost of this upgrade, $500 including headers that i havent fitted yet.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
ok, im late on this thread but here goes. i have just fitted to my 12 ssv wagon, E3 GTS centre section and bi modal rears. Wow what a difference. the only issue is the 4 cyl drone on cruise as i havent hooked up the vacuum system yet. being a hwy driver guess i will have too. total cost of this upgrade, $500 including headers that i havent fitted yet.
Has the E3 GTS centre section have a X pipe up the front.
(Left photo)

alp001

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais
I've just come across this old post, doesn't look like the first poster is active anymore so wondering if anyone has tried their suggestion of installing a H Pipe after the resonators, to help eliminate the AFM Drone? If so, did you install it on a standard V8 / SS mid section or one of the HSV stye mid sections (without the first long main muffler)? Seeking some advice with this as I'm over the drone and therefore wanting to give it a go using the most suitable mid section. Thanks for your help.