Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF/VE Seat pinouts?

rtmpgt

Reaction score
Website
www.pgt.design
Members Ride
2010 VE1.5 SV6 Ute
Hi all,

Can anyone provide pinouts for VE and VF seats?

In particular i'd be after:
which pairs of wires operate the airbags on both
Which pairs of wires operate the seat sensors on both
Which ones provide power and ground to the seat controls on both

I'd also need to match those with VE ones and see if the connectors are available as a part from Holden/GM.

I hear VF seats bolt right up to VE seats, but the electricals are the only thing holding them back from being installed into VEs. I want to install better (more comfortable) seats into my VE, however I also don't want the insurance headaches that come with installing aftermarket seats without airbags in a car that has airbags.

For reference, I've got a Series 1.5 SV6 Ute and I want to fit VF Cloth/Leather combo seats from a VF Storm ute.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
In all Australian states, changing seats requires some level of engineering approval except if the seats were an optional fittment to that vehicle*.

In WA, this page indicates the type of modifications that are considered minor and thus don't need certification. Installing a seat from a later vehicle is not one of the permissable mods.

Other pages within that site will lead you to Vehicle Standards Bulletin 14, NCOP7 Section LK Seating and Occupant Protection which outlines the enginnering required.

It seems if an already approved later model unmodified base is installed along with an already approved later model unmodified seat is installed in an older car, the Section LK checklist may be enough for a simple inspection... key here is unmodified ;)

I'd suggest you contact your rego authority and discuss it with them before you get too far into it and later realise you may need full engineering certification.

In any case, you're playing with expolisives and as such, you'd want much more information than a simple circuit diagram for VE & VF. You'd WANT to know exactly under what conditions the airbag may go off (and whether a multimeter of clumsy wiring short could potentially kill you)/

Good luck with it.

*some conditions still exist.

VECalaisV8Wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CalaisV Wagon
It's been done by stripping the seat covers to both seats so it's just the frame, foam and wiring.
Then rip out all the VF wiring and airbags and then put all the VE wiring and airbags in the seat then put the covers back on.
Have to change the seat belt stalk as well put your VE one on the VF seat.
The seat rails you have to cut the end of the VE rails off and weld it onto the VF rails.

rtmpgt

Reaction score
Website
www.pgt.design
Members Ride
2010 VE1.5 SV6 Ute
In all Australian states, changing seats requires some level of engineering approval except if the seats were an optional fittment to that vehicle*.

In WA, this page indicates the type of modifications that are considered minor and thus don't need certification. Installing a seat from a later vehicle is not one of the permissable mods.

Ah, nuts. So i'm stuck with VE seats in my state then, even if I could get it to work i'd need certs and all kinds of dicking around...

It's been done by stripping the seat covers to both seats so it's just the frame, foam and wiring.
Then rip out all the VF wiring and airbags and then put all the VE wiring and airbags in the seat then put the covers back on.
Have to change the seat belt stalk as well put your VE one on the VF seat.
The seat rails you have to cut the end of the VE rails off and weld it onto the VF rails.

Well, in that case then, I may as well just replace the foams and skins on my existing seats. Anything to do with cutting and welding's going to need certification and the last thing I want is insurance hassles... Kinda sucks seeing as the VF seats are so damn comfy haha.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
@rtmpgt, yeah, it does kinda suck... but re-foaming and re-skinning your existing seats (even adding base side bolsters) would be the simpler alternative for you... no idea of cost :rolleyes:

Here's one for you... I'm still bummed i can't legally change wheels on my VF Motorsport to those available on a VF SS (the opposite of what most would do). That is i can't change from 245/34R20 (front) & 275/30R20 (rear) to 245/45R18 (f+r)... Keep in mind it's the same drive line in both variants with some difference in brakes and possibly some differences in ESC/ABS calibration (neither of which is being touched). It's a simple bolt on change but it's technically illegal without engineering approval.

So, even bolting on wheels available in another variant is considers modification that requires engineering approval in some cases... all because of a view that it's reducing rim width (which is a big no no...)! No issue in going 9" wide all around or going to 22" (if rims/tyres exist in that size) but bolt on stuff available in teh cheaper variant and it's W R O N G / I L L E G A L... Also no issue buying whatever long lasting hard compound crap tyre i can find (which would have greater detriment to vehicle dynamics). Go figure... seems the law is blind as they say... deaf dumb and blind in some cases :oops:

rtmpgt

Reaction score
Website
www.pgt.design
Members Ride
2010 VE1.5 SV6 Ute
Could you not simply replace the wheels with ones that are the exact same size overall? I.e measure the roll-out of your stock wheels and tires, do the math and replace your wheels and tires with ones that are the exact same roll-out? I mean that's what you should be doing from the get-go Anyways when you change wheels and tires, right?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Not an issue of rolling diameter.

The isse is that the car came with staggered rims so it's illegal to go narrower rims on the rear than what the car came with... Even though the standard SS came with 8" wide all around, that's considered a different car and not the variant i've got :p But going 9" wide all around is no issue ;)

The point was to highlight the absurdities of regulations that aim ot stop a certian behaivour (skinny bycicle tyres on the front to get that drag car look) but other more sensible stuff gets caught in the drag net (pun intended) :p

The point was that if using wheels from the same generation commodore can be illegal, imagine the pain of a frankenstiened seat from another vehicle entirely o_O