Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Wagon ACC power for rear dash cam

Ivan J

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SportWagon
Hi all, I can’t seem to find any info on where to find acc power for a rear camera that I’d like to install. The available power port on the drivers side is power always. Does anyone know where to tap into power that turns off with the key or open door? Thanks tons.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I think there will be a 16pin connector hidden up under the glovebox to the left, [there is the VE's]
You will need to remove the plastic cover under the glove box to access it.
I went to the wreckers and got male plug and tested the pinouts with a multi-meter and the correct pins, with the help of a service manual, so not to inject voltage back into the BCM.
That's where I connected my Dashcam.

Ivan J

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SportWagon
I think there will be a 16pin connector hidden up under the glovebox to the left, [there is the VE's]
You will need to remove the plastic cover under the glove box to access it.
I went to the wreckers and got male plug and tested the pinouts with a multi-meter and the correct pins, with the help of a service manual, so not to inject voltage back into the BCM.
That's where I connected my Dashcam.

Thanks Krusing,
I’ve got the front cam hooked up already. I’m looking for switched power at the back of the VF wagon for the rear camera. The power outlet on the drivers side is always on.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I ran the cable through/over the roof lining from back to the front, with a flooring tongue,
[Sparky Trick]
Just have to carefully pry the plastic moulding down, on the back of the roof lining,
Remove the interior and map reading unit at the front will give you a heap of room.
[well it did in the VE, not sure if the VF are the same/similar](there is a YouTube clip on how to remove it carefully)
Where my Rear Camera plugs into my Front Camera, and it gets the power and video streaming down one cable.
In your case, could you run the power cable parallel from the front power source to your rear camera ?

Last edited:

Ivan J

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SportWagon
I ran the cable through/over the roof lining from back to the front, with a flooring tongue,
[Sparky Trick]
Just have to carefully to pry the plastic moulding down, on the back of the roof lining,
Remove the interior and map reading unit at the front will give you a heap of room.
[well it did in the VE, not sure if the VF are the same/similar](there is a YouTube clip on how to remove it carefully)
Where my Rear Camera plugs into my Front Camera, and it gets the power and video streaming down one cable.
In your case, could you run the power cable parallel from the front power source to your rear camera ?

Thanks for the tip. I purchased the front camera last year before I owned this car so it’s not a two channel camera. The back one is separate. The manufacturer (gator) offers a hard wire kit with fuse that you can plug into constant power and it’ll monitor things apparently. I ended up running the cable through the flexible rubber boot between the boot lid and roof of the car and down to the fuse box/battery.