Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vf wagon noise

snortings

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 SV6
constant creaking from the doors moving in the rubbers (a common unfixable problem apparently)
Yep... my fathers old VE wagon would creak, sounds like the car is bending. Then my VE did it, and my VF also does it. Just seems to be a common thing.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Yep... my fathers old VE wagon would creak, sounds like the car is bending. Then my VE did it, and my VF also does it. Just seems to be a common thing.
All car bodies flex. The Zeta platform sportwagons certainly have a bit more than the sedans. The noise seems to be from the design of the window rubbers and how they seal against the frame. I find it's important to have the rubbers lubricated. Then there's no noise. If the door strikers need adjusting, That will help too.

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.

My first VN wagon(89) used to do that,on long trips it sounded like you were on a sailing ship with all the creaking & groaning coming from the back,plastic panels not fitting properly and moving as the car flexes.
My 2012 VE is fine,touch wood,quiet as a mouse on the H/way.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
All car bodies flex. The Zeta platform sportwagons certainly have a bit more than the sedans. The noise seems to be from the design of the window rubbers and how they seal against the frame. I find it's important to have the rubbers lubricated. Then there's no noise. If the door strikers need adjusting, That will help too.
Mate - just lube the door rubbers with a tube of Silicone lubricant (I used Durex brand from Coles months ago). A little goes a long way. Any sprays never worked for me.
Cheap as - finally got silence from the doors and reduced my stress levels. No tape on strikers needed for me.
Now I can listen to the slap in the fuel tank.

snortings

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 SV6
My 2012 VE is fine,touch wood,quiet as a mouse on the H/way.
All car bodies flex. The Zeta platform sportwagons certainly have a bit more than the sedans. The noise seems to be from the design of the window rubbers and how they seal against the frame.
Yeah. You'd only hear it when going up the driveway curb or something similar

Stroppy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Sportwagon
My VF Evoke doesn't creak or anything remotely like it. It's an ex police transport vehicle...I bought it with 50k on the ODO. It does have the police dual battery set up and the Blind Spot Monitor which is not usually fitted to the Evoke. As far as noise goes...nope, not a problem in this car BUT if you are travelling uphill with a load on the engine there is a bit of driveline droning at a certain rev point. It worried me for a while but now I am used to it.

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
. As far as noise goes...nope, not a problem in this car BUT if you are travelling uphill with a load on the engine there is a bit of driveline droning at a certain rev point. It worried me for a while but now I am used to it.

My VE S11 has that drone under load,not too bad and not always there but i've been in cars,VE & VF, where its very noticable going uphill,not sure if its a Torque Converter or Transmission thing.

Henry19720

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 MY15 Man Sedan, MY17 SSVR Man Sedan
Hi Mate,
This sort of thing really pisses me off especially when there is a documented fix for the door rubbers. As Cuda says it’s important to lubricate the rubbers.

Be “nice” and ask the dealer to reference # 18-H-009: Technical Information Bulletin - Side door seal and latch noise - (Mar 20, 2018).
It’s a 5 page document basically instructing to use Compound Release Dow Corning 7 to all rubber seals. Included are pictures showing areas where to pay attention to.

Best of luck!