Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vf wagon noise

DaveCurr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf series 2 sv6 Sportswagon
Hi

I have a VFSeries series 2 sv6 wagon which is still under warranty. I purchased it second hand from a Holden Dealer.

After I purchased it I noticed a knocking coming from the rear of the vehicle. It was more noticeable when you went over a corrugated piece of bitumen and strangely is more pronounced when the drivers window is down.

It sounds just like the knock that I used to get in my HG Kingswood when the shock rubber split.

It's not the buffeting that you sometimes get with a window down as the knock syncs with specific bumps in the road. So three bumps in the road, three knocks.

Checked all the usual things like loose spare wheel or Jack. All OK.

I've now taken it to two different Holden dealerships who combined have had five attempts to locate the knock without success.

They have checked the suspension, replaced the gas struts that support the tailgate but the noise is still there.

A friend suggested it could be the pressure relief flap in the rear bumper which helps the doors close when the cabin is pressurised. That may explain why the knock happens more when the window is down?

I told Holden and they basically laughed at me. In frustration I contacted Holden Customer Care who basically said if the department can't find it they can't help me.

Adding this to a long list of other problems has just reinforced why they don't make them anymore.

Any suggestions what the noise could be? Appreciate any suggestions.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Not sure about hearing it more with the window down, but check to see if the jack under the spare tyre and the spare tyre itself are tightened down enough. If either are loose it will knock.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
What other issues have you had?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Not the drivers door latch?
Try wrapping some electrical tape around the latch bar.

Sir Les

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 MY14
I sympathise with you Dave, strange sounds drive me mad also. If as you say all the suspension has been checked out, there a few other things I can think of -- loose battery, loose rear wiper (if there is one?), noisy door strikers (wrap electrical tape around them), and as a last resort, something left inside a cavity that shouldn't be there, such as a screwdriver. In one instance I remember (not a Holden though), an owner complained about a strange occasional rolling noise. It turned out to be a bottle left inside a rear quarter panel at the factory. That one was hard to find!

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
My vf wagon is noisy,its like a bloody wind tunnel with the windows down,road noise is shocking,noisiest car ive ever owned lol,you get used to it after a while.
Tried to drown it out with a cam and exhaust...
Id liken it to an echo chamber,never owned a wagon before so maybe its normal,no knocks yet....

DaveCurr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf series 2 sv6 Sportswagon
Thanks for your replies everyone. Two dealerships have apparently checked all the cavities, battery mount, wheel well etc. The end result was "well we cant find it so its not our problem". And Holden Customer Care dont want to know about it.

Other problems so far include a rear tailgate strut that came loose from the mount, a genuine Holden carpet mat that pulled the mounting out of the floor (3 attempts to fix by Holden including an attempt to hide a dodgy repair by tucking the mat up inside the plastic trim in the footwell), the control module that looks after the My Link and other stuff packed it in, My Link suddenly decides to go from the radio to the USB by itself (the workshop foreman said "Oh my Rodeo does that too"). Never fixed. Drivers side seat belt keeps getting stuck between the seat back and the pillar (design fault so no fix), constant creaking from the doors moving in the rubbers (a common unfixable problem apparently), the cover on the luggage floor failing to secure with the string and hook that are meant to hold it up (that hurt when it fell on my head) and several other bits and pieces.

It's a shame that Holden don't give a #$* because the car is a good drive. Lots of space and power.

But with an attitude like theirs it's no surprise that people stopped buying them.

I had four new Mazda's in a row before the VF. In over 250,000 klm the worst that happened was a broken engine mount, replaced under warranty.

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
The issues these cars have arent normal they are design faults,holden cbf sorting them so they just say they are normal,pretty sad tbh.
Maybe go to another dealer.
Its the same reason the falcon went extinct,so many inherant issues ford refused to fix...

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
My Link suddenly decides to go from the radio to the USB by itself (the workshop foreman said "Oh my Rodeo does that too")..

yeah mine does that, generally not during running but day to day!

As well as the link posted above re. seat plugs, the other thing I've read about for clonking noise is the fuel sloshing in the tank. Mine makes a minor sound on some brutal bumps at work.