Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Wagon Revival

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars

Magnum61

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Magnum
Yeah, it was not the original plan but she cracked it when I said it was time to move it on & get something else.
So now we are keeping it and spending a few bucks. I recon it will be well worth the effort.

Magnum61

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Magnum
So, The paint is 'complete' but I'm not really happy with it so its going back after it comes back from Hi-Torque. (story of my life).

Long story short, the motor gained a top end tick & Hi-Torque are quoting me $6500 to fix it with a new cam, lifters, timing chain and oil pump. Prognosis is low oil pressure. does this sound right to anyone else for a motor with only 90k and regularly serviced?

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
So, The paint is 'complete' but I'm not really happy with it so its going back after it comes back from Hi-Torque. (story of my life).

Long story short, the motor gained a top end tick & Hi-Torque are quoting me $6500 to fix it with a new cam, lifters, timing chain and oil pump. Prognosis is low oil pressure. does this sound right to anyone else for a motor with only 90k and regularly serviced?
Did you get a quote from TEKNO ?

Mike74ss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Redline SII
I believe the lifters are “due” for replacement around the 100k mark, so a little early for you but it’s a great opportunity to upgrade the cam while you’re there!

Magnum61

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Magnum
Another chapter in the story.

since getting it back from Hi-Torque, we have has starting issues so after a retune, lifter and rocker replacement. they recon it might be the fuel pump. "Insert head slap here" o_O another $1000 or so.

Any thoughts?

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
I suppose the fuel pump/wiring could start failing during the few km's they put on it when doing the tuning, but what a coincidence and how many of us have problems with fuel pumps anyway. If its really minor, I'd be trying some different fuel before spending cash. Can you describe just how bad you mean by "starting issues".

Magnum61

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Magnum
1 out of 3 cold starts it will stall but restart eventually.
Every now n then it won't start at all when warm, just turn over with no fire.

Magnum61

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Magnum
update.

Still cant work out this starting issue. Fuel pump is apparently testing fine. Could it be the Fuel 'control module'?

Any further thoughts, anyone?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I recommend a product called 303 Interior and Exterior Protectant. It works on vinyl, rubber and plastics and dries to a matte finish which looks infinitely better than the shiny finish you get with some other products. I believe it was developed for the aerospace industry.

www.303products.com.au
This. The 303 stuff is genuinely amazing. Not cheap.

I’ve tried a few Bowden’s products but they really are aimed at a “particular” retail market. They don’t cut it compared with professional products and in this case, that sounds like the standard required.

There are some good product comparison trials on YouTube and detailing forums showing the differences. They are done by reputable people within the detailing industry.

The go to person in Australia would be Sandro from Concours Detailing in Melbourne.
You want to be looking for products on detailer supply places rather than retail outlets. The plain aerospace 303 is only available at some retail outlets.