Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Warranty Claims disputes - Best approach?

dj_lockie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute M6
Have lurked around the forum for a little while leading up to the purchase on my first new Holden just prior to Christmas. I picked up a new VF SSV ute on the 18/12. After picking up the car and getting it home that night, I noticed a small cut/scratch in the passenger seat leather. I called the dealer back the morning after to advise them, and took it back a couple of times so that they could look at it/take photos etc.

Long story short, I received a call today to advise that the warranty claim was declined by Holden, as "it must" have happened post-delivery. I wasn't particularly happy on the phone with the dealership, as they took no responsibility for it (hiding behind their pre-delivery checklist) even though the only person to sit in the passenger seat prior to me noticing the scratch/cut was the salesman. The phone call ended pretty unsatisfactorily, with the dealer offering to find someone to see if they could repair it but not making any mention of covering the cost of repair etc. The staff member's attitude wasn't that great either.

I plan on going into the dealer on the weekend to talk face to face and to understand their exact position on it, but if that doesn't end as desired, what's my best option? I called Holden and can load a complaint/case through them, and can also lodge a complaint with Fair Trading from the sounds of it after talking to them - any other suggestions?

Little disappointed in it all - would have thought that Holden would be doing everything they can to promote themselves and retain customers (especially new-to-brand customers) at the moment.

duaned

Reaction score
Members Ride
M6 Red Hot MSE
That's disappointing to hear. I had some issues with my car that I noticed the day after delivery ( scratch in driver's door trim, gouges in the driver's side scuff panel, scratch on the passenger rear scuff panel) and the dealer ordered new trims and resolved the matter in a reasonable time frame. Hopefully yours get sorted but it's not going to do Holden any favours that is for sure.

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
The sad but realistic outlook is that they already have your money and they are going out of business soon. Why would they care?

justolder

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
Had a hole / tear appear in drivers leather seat in my VF last week just near stitching. Car is about 3 months old so I contacted local Holden dealer first and conversation over phone was poor at best and dealer clearly laying blame on me. Not happy with conversation I contacted Holden 1800 number in handbook to be told by operator that it is a common problem and a few incidents of seat damage have occurred. Armed with this I rang dealer again and booked it in to be accessed, they took photos of seat and forwarded to Holden and within 3 hours agreed that seat had an issue and due to where damage had occurred they blamed poor stitching so new seat cover has been ordered and getting replaced free of charge. I knew there was no way I had caused seat damage myself and am an average build size (eg not a fat arse). Contact number 1800 if local dealer gives you the run around, they changed their tune once they knew I had spoke to Holden H/O. My seats are full leather not suede inserts.

dj_lockie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute M6
Well after a bit of back and forth, the dealership is going to look at repairing the section at their cost. The agreement is to bring it back to 'as new' so if the patch job is no good should be a case of replacing that section of leather. Hopefully will all be resolved soon now

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
It seems strange that a small item like seat damage could ever escape the model's development prior to its release. The ad claims that the VF underwent 3 million kilometres of testing. Wouldn't you think that something which is common after only three months of use in the market would have shown up during all that testing?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
OP, I would've thought that replacing that seat cover would've been cheaper than repairing it.

wot recession

call me wotman
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 auto Ute.
For anyone finding a fault after you drive away from your dealer.
Trust me when I say. Email your salesperson, saying you found an issue that will. Not may, but will be an insurance claim.
In the email tell them you will drop the car off on a date that suites yourself not them. Say a week away.
Dont ask if the fault is covered. If you ask you will be denied.

Fyi the worst thing you can do is loose your cool or threaten to take it higher, as that will just piss them off and you will be ignored.
Belive it or not, playing it cool will get you over the line.