Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF with Opti-coat +

RooiLyn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F-2 Senator Signature
I lived in Sydney before moving up here to Brisvegas and Dave from reflect effect did paint correction and then Opticoat on my previous car. Had that car for 6 years and it honestly still looked like new all the way through (Blue mica metallic Golf) with really good depth and gloss. Dave is very dedicated and does an awesome job. Those prices sound right on the button.

graphicgoose

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 VF SSV Redline
Whats the typical price on opticoat + with paint in brand new factory condition ?

Potentially look into Modesta Glass paint protection too JET. I've spoken to a few detailers over here who have used Opticoat etc also but all swear by the Modesta.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
I got tinting done on a wet day and the owner who also does opti-coat said to me "you must wax your car", which I do. Does water not bead and roll off with opti-coat like it does with wax? I must admit, after I get the respray done (twin kangaroo strike + shopping trolley) I am considering opti-coat.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
I got tinting done on a wet day and the owner who also does opti-coat said to me "you must wax your car", which I do. Does water not bead and roll off with opti-coat like it does with wax? I must admit, after I get the respray done (twin kangaroo strike + shopping trolley) I am considering opti-coat.

I'd be concerned with anyone saying "you must wax your car after having OC applied". It's not the case.

I'm an approved applicator for Ceramic Pro in Sydney, also not the case with CP, modesta, GTechniq, Finest, whatever. There are other maintenance procedures that SHOULD be carried out with coatings, but waxing is not one of them.

All ceramic/glass coatings will bead to varying degrees. Some bead like crazy, others not so much. It's not necessarily a telling of how good a coating is, it's all to do with the contact angle the water forms with the surface. A high contact angle (108-112 degrees) will cause beading, a lower angle will cause what is called "sheeting".

The ones I've mentioned here should all bead fairly well, with CP, Modesta and GTechniq probably having the higher water contact angles in my experience, meaning they have tighter beads and shed water better, but OC will still bead well and will do the job fine. The new OC formula (OC+) with the top coat is designed to bead better than the old (no one is using the old formula any more as far as I'm aware).

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Hi TinSnips, I probably didn't write that well. I was simply saying that when he drove it into the bay wet, he could pick that it had been waxed as opposed to having a permanent coating applied, which he also is experienced with. I was just wondering how he could tell and I could only put it down to a difference in beading. I personally don't care wether my paint beads or not as long as its protected hence why I'm considering something like opti-coat after the respray.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
oh ok, my mistake. I misread.

The difference is not so much in the beading but in the look. Most coatings (not all) have a glassy or candy look to them, while a carnauba wax will have a warmth or glow to it, rather than outright gloss. Pros and cons to both depending on colour and the look of a product is very subjective. From a protection point of view however, there is no contest - a properly-applied pro coating will by far and away out perform any wax in every aspect.

As far as a difference in beading goes, depending on the product of course, coatings will generally bead better than most anything out there, with few exceptions.

BrownieVFSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
Had opticoat + applied to my VF immediately after driving it home. Had the paint correction and clay bar done on it by Top Notch Car Care and would highly recommend anyone in if looking in Sydney to give him a call. Top Notch Car Care |