Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF1 SSV Redline Exhaust Modification

Tegore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF1 Commodore SSV Redline
I'm looking at improving the general sound of my SSV Redline VF1 (auto) due to its general quietness.

Tunehouse located in Marrickville has advised they can do the following for 5K installed:

*THR HOLDEN VE/VF 6.0L/6.2L STAGE 1: +40kW POWER & ECONOMY

Reprogram factory ECU for power, economy and performance.
Custom calibration file custom tune on the dyno.
Over The Radiator Cold Air Induction Kit
Fascia and Infill Panels
4 Into 1 Extractors Upgrade
High Flow Cat upgrade
Cat Back Exhaust upgrade

I understand that if I do any exhaust modifications I'll need AFM disabled via a tune.

I really don't care too much about extra power, but looking for that V8 noise that the VF1 is missing.

Is this a good deal? Is it necessary to change up the headers as well or could I leave that out?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Be aware that the active cylinder management in your engine creates a brain-melting drone when it activates ... I have no idea of how loud the drone is, but the reason the VF1 is so quiet all the time is 'cos the exhaust system needed to quieten the exhaust so much when you're running on 4 cylinders.

There are all sorts of ways around the problem; one is ignoring it (I don't know how loud it would be), another is getting the cylinder-deactivation logic disabled so it never happens.

I realise this doesn't answer most of your questions; I mention it particularly because you're chasing that V8 sound.

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
Good note on our cars are product of 2 things.
1. Decent long tube 4-1 headers to increase exhaust pulse

2. Type of merge used. In my opinion a H pipe gives best note. I have a difillipo as they use a small H pipe.

systems using a X pipe will tend to sound smoother, whilst H pipe will have more traditional muscles car sound.

3 inch sounds deeper but has inclination to drone.

in my opinion the difillipo/ walkinshaw system sounds best (however this is totally subjective)

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
I have pacemaker 4-1 headers into a kpm exhaust. Love everything about it, besides the fact the headers make the cats the lowest point under the car. Even with flattend cats, it's still freakin low for an important part to be hanging. I would't do it again. With current circular cats, I have 10cm of clearance at 395f/385r, stock 18's.

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
price sounds about right, depending on what brand you are talking about

you dont -need- to disable AFM, but highly advisable if you dont want drone in 4cyl mode.
you dont -need- to change headers, the cats and catback is responsible for most of the loudness. but headers will contribute to the type of sound.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Shop around, there are better deals to be had. The only thing that you couldn't do yourself would be the tune. If you're handy with spanners you could probably get all of that, fit it yourself then get it tuned for under $4K.

Exhaust, including headers and cats should be around $2500 installed.

Cold air intake, around $700-$800.

Tune around $700-$800.

Brand is everything, the wrong brand and it will sound like crap, not fit very well and hang low. Hurricane 4 - 1 headers and cats are probably the best for ground clearance.

H

harrop.senator

What's the mild vs stainless argument on the newer LS ABBA? They still sound much more muscle car like the original LS? Or have they made design improvements to overcome the resonance the stainless creates?

crew chief

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Turbo, WB Ute, VF 2300 Harrop
If it is just the noise you are chasing and you want it cheap get some series 2 bimodal mufflers and fit them to the factory system (I got some off gum tree for $200) then get someone to turn off DOD, at least it will then sound like an 8. Then add a retrofit bimodal controller, because sometimes quiet is good.

I Wish

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, Nitrate Silver Wagon
Good luck trying to find cheap bi-modal mufflers now. Some secondhand dealers are selling them for over $300 each now.