Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF1 SSV Redline Exhaust Modification

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
The materials science equivalent of a tardis ?

Have a read of the article I linked.
As with lots of things though its a bit of word trickery. If you stuck them in a furnace and heated them up, they'd melt. But a combination of ceramic coating and air cooling keeps them solid and functioning!

A similar situation is during manufacture of steel. Continuous casters use copper moulds (melting point 1000°C) to hold molten steel (c. 1500°C). They don't melt due to conducting powders and lots of water cooling!

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Ultimate weight saving option I guess.
Akrapovic is the popular brand, but seems to have sold out and is appearing on all sorts of mainstream cars now (VW T-roc?!)

EDIT: this page seems to think 3000GBP for a factory fit, so a bit less for aftermarket? 40% weight saving
https://www.carthrottle.com/post/the-pros-and-cons-of-different-exhaust-materials/

Now on another tangent, some inconel headers, mmmm

BBI-HDR991GT3.jpg

Venturi effect...

Speeds up pulses, works to a degree, but any header design is restricted (or aided) by whatever is bolted to them. The effective collector is the next piece of exhaust until the diameter changes. So if a cat was to be fitted to that flange, the collector would end there, so the venturi effect is cancelled out by the virtually non existent collector because it would be too short to be effective in scavenging.

The collector is the combined pipework of the merge and the length of tube until the next change in diameter. People call the merge the collector, because it "collects" the gases into one stream, but there is more to it than that.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Depends on your microstructural changes and their effect on ductility and strength as you heat up and melt.
High melting temp materials can still soften early.

As a materials scientist my favourite high operating temp factoid is the hot turbine blades in jet or turbofan engines. They operate above their melting point!
Also some useful info on why nickel based alloys are better
https://www.theengineer.co.uk/rolls-royce-single-crystal-turbine-blade/
Yeah, I’m no material scientist but suspected that inconel had better properties that made it useful in rather high temp environments (those throttle plates at the rear of jet engines) despite its lower melting point... Tried a quick Google on its material properties but was getting too heavy :p

But interesting read about those turbine blades nevertheless :cool:

PS: some real complex engineering would have been needed to manage pressures and flow rates into and around the blades just to keep it within desired temp profile... that’s some complex cooling system... Can GM borrow those engineers to sort out the LS3 so it’s easier to bleed air out of the damn cooling system :p

Last edited:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah, I’m no material scientist but suspected that inconel had better properties that made it useful in rather high temp environments (those throttle plates at the rear of jet engines) despite its lower melting point... Tried a quick Google on its material properties but was getting too heavy :p

But interesting read about those turbine blades nevertheless :cool:

Also structural firewalls.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Also structural firewalls.
Maybe in boats? smelters? reactors? no idea where they’d be used :rolleyes:

Probably not in within Opel or Mascot towers :p:p:p

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride

smurfmeister

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf redline
I went with xforce 2.5 inch catback with remote controlled mufflers, had it for awhile now and i'm happy with it. It's not very loud but you know it's a V8. On highway i will hit the remote and close off muffler to avoid poor noise when it kicks into afm. It doesn't drone, just sounds ordinary when it's on 4 cyclinders. From memory it cost about $2000 -$2500 fitted.

Last edited:

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
$1250 roughly for a tune and otr,about 2500 for a complete exhaust if you fit it yourself,they are charging you 1250 to fit the exhaust.....