Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF1 SSV Redline Exhaust Modification

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Type of merge used. In my opinion a H pipe gives best note. I have a difillipo as they use a small H pipe.
systems using a X pipe will tend to sound smoother, whilst H pipe will have more traditional muscles car sound.

The old muscle car system had a small H pipe about 1.5" on a twin 2". X Pipes sound like a single exhaust where an H Pipe retains the V8 thump more like straight dual with no crossover. A single 3" common in VN to VS with the old Holden V8 sounded much like an X pipe twin and high pitched on the top end. X pipe's a V8 Supercar note and H pipe's like a Sprintcar note as a reasonable description.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
What's the mild vs stainless argument on the newer LS ABBA? They still sound much more muscle car like the original LS? Or have they made design improvements to overcome the resonance the stainless creates?

It depends on the brand, some sound like crap, some sound good. I have always promoted Manta as in my opinion they sound pretty damn nice. Some people don't like them, each to their own.

H

harrop.senator

It depends on the brand, some sound like crap, some sound good. I have always promoted Manta as in my opinion they sound pretty damn nice. Some people don't like them, each to their own.

Mums got defilippo 4-1's and a Manta pro twin 3" on her cammed vx. One of the only stainless I've liked.

I'm contemplating making a twin stainless for my l67 as have like 30 Chinese 90's but I'm skeptical

After going from stainless to mild on an rb25 I've never fitted stainless since haha

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Mild is a bit more mellow than stainless. If you use a quality glass packed muffler then they can sound pretty good.

H

harrop.senator

I've got an 18" 2 in 2 out xforce with a built in balance pipe and 2x 15" louvred glass packed hotdogs.

eman1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
I have a hurricane full 3inch system with an x pipe from what I can see, if I replace this with a h pipe will it give it a more of a pulse sound? Or just sound like **** as not designed for it.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Mild is a bit more mellow than stainless. If you use a quality glass packed muffler then they can sound pretty good.

Mild steel has a better note than stainless and isn't quite as tinny sounding, but it's a very minor difference. Perforated tube mufflers packed with long strand fibreglass sound the best but the fibreglass burns out if the mufflers are too close to the engine. Stainless wool packing doesn't burn out and sounds good but it's a little louder than fibreglass for the same size muffler. Some cheap mufflers use a dense needle mat type fibreglass and don't sound the best. Mechanical chambered mufflers (no packing) sound the worst like the bi-modals, Flowmaster, Gonzo's etc, raspy awful noise. Note and noise level are 2 different things!

I haven't heard every bolt on, but the best VE/VF bolt on's I've heard to date are, Lukey, Defilippo, Redback, Magnaflow and some Xforce but not always. Sounds like Xforce don't always use the same packing and some (same part number) can sound pretty lousy.

Last edited:

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Wait until you hear spun volcanic rock packed Magnaflows, they sound awesome on the VE/VF but need a resonator in front of them.

The best "old school" muffler is the L2121, has an open chamber in the middle with the inlet and outlet perforated going through glass packed chambers.

Where's that can of worms....here it is!! The reason (main reason anyway) that you can't get an LSx to sound like the old school 308 has nothing to do with firing order, they are both cross plane V8s with the same firing sequence left to right (different order but same sequence of left/right). It's mainly to do with the position of the mufflers, VT onwards had the main silencer at the rear, 308's and 304 Commodores had them in the centre with the exception of the VT 304. If you've ever heard a VT 304 next to a VT LS1 with the same brand aftermarket cat back, they are very similar sounding as the exhaust systems are the same. VN-VS had the main muffler in the middle and the rear is actually a resonator. And the exception there is IRS.

Go listen to the million and 1 skid pigs with LSx's, open headers, close your eyes and you would not be able to tell an LS from a 308. Well, the ones that limiter bang you can.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
The best "old school" muffler is the L2121,
A 2121 and 2441 was Lukey's single 2.5" system mufflers for a VB to VS. I used to run 1682's on HQ to HZ and they were 2" 8 x 4" and 16" long same design as the 2121. With no balance or H pipe, a 253 sounded like a 350 Chev with this combo. With HT/HG where the mufflers were under the front seats (further forward), we'd use 880's and they were 2" 5.5" x 3" 24" long straight through with a centre chamber and sounded great too.

H pipes weren't used much in the old days and were mainly used to dampen "thong clappers" with hot dogs. Years ago I did a VU Maloo LS1 with the HM HSV headers and twin 2.5" using the 2121 and 2441 no balance pipe. That sounded "old school" when the owner piped the cats! In VT, an identical system sounded much the same with the 5 litre Holden engine and LS1, you couldn't tell which car had the LS1 engine by the exhaust note.