Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vf2 battery life

lmfvf2ssredlineute

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf2 ssv redline lmf ute
i brought a my17 redline new and am wondering about battery life, these cars run lots of electronics and i don't want to get stuck anywhere with a dead battery
the factory battery is a acdelco so has anyone had to replace one yet , i am thinking maybe 3-4 years maybe time to replace before it shags itself.
and what's the best replacement, acdelco or a century as supercheap have century ones on sale for $190 which is $50 bucks off

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
I did a test on my 2013 model with my works battery tester. Original battery and was still about the 90% health mark. If you are worried you can get a cheap battery tester for the tool box.

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
My 2012 lasted over 6 years,was still ok but getting tired.
The VE/VF Batteries were designed to last 5 years+ of daily motoring,i know they weren't included in 5 year warranties but GMH did it anyway to avoid any drama's.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
No signs of issues yet with the 6yo battery in our 6yo car.

lmfvf2ssredlineute

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf2 ssv redline lmf ute
ok great thanks for the replies, seems like the factory batteries last at least 4-5 years if not a lot more, i will have a look on evil bay for a load tester to check keep eye on battery strength life
the factory battery must be of good quality to last that long running all the electronics , battery load tester is a great idea

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
battery life is dependent on the conditions it is used in and the way it is used.
sla/vrla batteries can be damaged by rapid discharge or totally discharging them and most of them will last 5 to 10 years with normal use in a modern vehicle.
newer vehicles have agm batteries because of the increased demand for things like stop/start technology.

the way i work with sla/vrla batteries is i just replace them every 5 years, $250 every 5 years is an expense i am ok with.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
The longevity of the VF battery depends on many things, foremost among them being your driving. Beside that, little things can have a big impact down the line.

If you drive only 5-10km to work in slow moving/stop-start traffic, and return in the same conditions at night with lights on, in effect the battery is not receiving a full charge by that driving. At least once a week there should be a sustained open road drive over 1-2 hours to fully charge the battery. The more often long trips are done, then potentially the longer the battery will last. Repeated short trips will not charge the battery, with load from headlights, radio, etc. and poor driving decisions conspiring to shorten battery life, in some cases 3 years. I expect I will get at least 6-7 years with my battery, knowing the car's previous driving history that did not include any city/suburban driving.

At the time of trading my old VZ in last November, the battery had been in place for 8 long, trouble-free years. It had been given a cadmium additive when I first bought the car, and nothing else was done other than heaps and heaps and heaps of long-distance, sustained speed driving in all conditions from freezing cold alpine environments to blistering heat of outback central Australia and the Kimberley. The battery in that car was only found to be on the way out during a routine load test in August 2019!

Yes, the VF is full of electronics, but it can look after itself. I note a bizarre post here recently about a gripe with the owner's radio cutting out after 10 minutes while the owner wanders around outside. The 10 minute time out applies to the radio and the interior blue lights around the door handles. It is in place to stop unnecessary drain on the battery. Other ways to waste the battery are pulling up somewhere at night and leaving the headlights on while chatting on the phone or sleeping in the driver's seat with your foot on the brake pedal! Seen it all... :rolleyes:

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Both of my car batteries are over 6 years and both test OK by NRMA mobile battery service 2 weeks ago. Which surprises me, I usually change out after 4 years. These factory batteries are the goods!
I accidentally flattened my SSV battery by parking in D overnight (doh) a couple of years ago and the battery is still OK. Just recharged via the alternator after a jump start.
The V6 does lots of short runs.
I do carry a jump-start booster just in case.

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
i will have a look on evil bay for a load tester to check keep eye on battery strength life
Depending on if its worth it for the way you use the car. There is such a thing, its a little box that you attach to your terminals and when your near by you can see on your phone what your battery is doing. I wanna say its century that does it but it could of been projecta aswell.

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII Calais V 6.2L Sed
Depending on if its worth it for the way you use the car. There is such a thing, its a little box that you attach to your terminals and when your near by you can see on your phone what your battery is doing. I wanna say its century that does it but it could of been projecta aswell.
CTEK